Picture of the day.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hansie - it's a MG42. The pressed metal, 'square' section cooling jacket is clearly visible, as are the pressed bipod legs, and the 'studded' cocking handle channel, and, just visible, the gas relief ports behind the muzzle flash suppressor.
Thanks, AF- I was fairly certain it was a MG-42, appreciate your confirmation. I'm a bit more familiar with the appearance of the MG-42, as our M-60 has copied many of the MG-42's design features- How much different were the MG-34 to the MG-42 in weight, barrel changing time (and if headspacing was required when barrels were changed out in the field, etc. I am assuming that both German MG's had the same caliber.. Hansie

MG34 weighed just under 27 lbs, MG42 25 lbs, both used the 7.92 mm round. Barrel change on the MG 34 required removing the barrel from the sleeve, after partially stripping from the receiver, whereas the MG42 barrel could be very quickly changed by unlocking the latch on the right of the pressed metal sleeve, which disengaged the barrel and pushed it outwards, allowing it to be withdrawn from the side - an asbestos glove was provided for this action - and was required due to the high RoF at 1,200 rpm.
Overall, the MG42 was a simpler weapon to strip, and not as complex, or finely toleranced as the MG34, and also employed a slightly different locking system - a bit too much to explain here, and it's a long time since I demonstrated this, so I'm a bit rusty !

Again, many thanks, AF, for sharing your expertise with us. I read that one factor in the very high cyclical RoF of the MG-42 was the unique bolt with rollers designed by the Germans-- and the open bolt concept as opposed to a closed bolt design might also allow a higher RoF-- with the attendant need for more frequent barrel changes. I wonder if the gun designers at Spandau ever developed stellite liners for the MG-42 barrels, to prolong barrel life.

I am just guessing here, but I think the Wehrmacht would employ the older MG-34 for as long as they had available service for it with their field armorers and supply of parts, with eventual replacement in the field with the MG-42 series. Again, thank you for your insight and clarification of my questions. Hansie

Another of fifty-three Spitfire V delivered to Regia Aeronautica Co-Belligerent and assigned to 20th Gruppo of 51st Stormo. The aircraft in foreground of the photo, perhaps taken at Lecce-Galatina Airfiield after the Autumn 1944, is in maintenance (note a panel of engine cowling removed and ground crew working on the propeller). This aircraft has a dual color tone camouflage while the Spit in background is complete olive drab. Victor Sierra

Users who are viewing this thread