Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Crossings ... training, and the real deal.
View attachment 483843 View attachment 483844
I believe that Offizer in the middle of the boat is Irwin Rommel- the Knight's Cross and the earlier facial appearance makes me think so-before Hitler assigned him to the Afrika Korps-and he later became more sun-burned and his face was lined from the hot, harsh climate there. Just my guess, if anyone has another opinion, I'd be pleased to read it. Hansie

Yep, I posted earlier that he looked like Rommel - fairly sure it is.
The guy with the radio, behind the 'sniper' mentioned in your post #10455 appears to have a Garrand. What looks like the slot beneath the forestock is visible.
Thanks, AF-- always good to get another opinion, and from an experienced member of this forum. I thought it looked a bit like the forward handguard on the M-1 Garand, and with a 2x glass, I could see the slot on the underside, and the gas tube as well. Nice eye, Sir.. Hansie

Trouble is, some people actually believe it
Sad but true unfortunately. My daughter ( 17 ) and I were just discussing this last night for her school work, she get's pretty frustrated by this sort of thing, her quote was "didn't grand dad and his brothers fight a war to put a stop to this nonsense"?

Yes, they did, unfortunately stupidity refuses to die.

My father (Pacific, USN) and three of my uncles (one Marine, one flew with the Carpetbaggers, and one was USAAF ground crew) fought in WW2; my father has told me he would frequently run into people who would tell him the Holocaust never happened. He came from a small town, and many of his high school classmates fought in the US Army in Europe, and some of them were there when some of the death camps were liberated. He would usually tell the deniers they were fools. Racism, especially, and antisemitism have long, deep, and dishonorable pasts in US history. Antisemitism has very deep roots in Europe, going deeply into the Middle Ages. The type of virulent nationalism practiced by the nazis seems, however, to be a 19th Century invention.

Users who are viewing this thread