Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That last one is powerful.

Agreed, some may have been Nazis some may have been good decent men, but all those mothers sons...

Brings to mind the end of the Band of Brothers series, when the German general is addressing his troops for the last time, Pvt. Liebgot is translating for Winters and Nixon, I don't claim to be the toughest guy on the planet but dammit, every time I hear that I swear the wife is cutting onions on the sofa next to me.

I'm not ashamed to admit I've never gotten through that scene dry eyed.

War can sure advance technology in many ways very fast, but there's the stark reminder of the cost.

... but are they still standing ... that is the question .... surely that photo is a German photo. We are seeing the bad blood still playing out in regions and countries such as the Ukraine ...
You're right Mike, regardless of their politics or beliefs, it would be a travesty if this had been desecrated, I mean, we treat sunken warships as untouchable war graves after all.

That last one is powerful.

It doesn't matter where or when, the human cost of war always ends up being (often large numbers of) graves filled with the bodies of men, women and children. We must also not forget those survivors who must live on with broken bodies and/or minds.

The pic below is a postcard dating from about 1919 showing the Ramparts Cemetery at Ypres. The nearest grave is that of my Grandmother's first cousin, Stephen Orme Gamble, who was KIA on 13 Apr 1915. He's far from resting alone!

Attachments

• Stephen Orme Gamble - Ramparts Cemetary (Large Cross in Foreground).jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 50

Users who are viewing this thread