Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes, i read up on them a couple of years back. The amount of engineering and modifications they had to do im not sure the plan was even worth putting into practice, what with it diverting a lot of resources at a time when the Japanese really couldnt afford to partake in flights of fancy. The aircraft had backward rotating wings to fit into the sub. And they had to develope a way of heating the engine oil on the Aichi so it could take off as soon as it rolled out. Obviously running the engine in the hanger/designated area was both dangerous and outside too slow. I think it was ahead of its time in some aspects but totally flawed in others. A good idea but simply not practical. The chances of sneaking up on the US coast and carrying out what in effect would be nothing more than a bee sting to the Americans was i think highly unlikely and open to attack/disaster.
The I-400 sub was the largest, most advanced sub in the world until it was eclipsed by nuclear attack submarines nearly two decades later. While it may seem that it didn't contribute much, it held a great deal of potential. As with most Axis hardware, the Japanese were too late getting these into service and with their limitations in production, weren't able to make enough in order to effect a wholesale strike.
However, they could have just as easily conducted psych attacks on U.S. west coast facilities, like the refineries in Santa Barbara (Atwood, in particular) or in San Pedro/Wilmington that would have had a serious effect on public morale as well as hampered oil production/delivery.

The Caproni N.1 thermo-jet during a test flight.

image.jpg

The I-400 sub was the largest, most advanced sub in the world until it was eclipsed by nuclear attack submarines nearly two decades later. While it may seem that it didn't contribute much, it held a great deal of potential. As with most Axis hardware, the Japanese were too late getting these into service and with their limitations in production, weren't able to make enough in order to effect a wholesale strike.
However, they could have just as easily conducted psych attacks on U.S. west coast facilities, like the refineries in Santa Barbara (Atwood, in particular) or in San Pedro/Wilmington that would have had a serious effect on public morale as well as hampered oil production/delivery.

I hear what your saying, but without something like a nuclear weapon im just not convinced they could have made any significant impact on damage or moral. America's west coast had been shelled by conventional Japanese ships before 44/45. And as a Brit i know that even the most damaging bombing/destruction of a town/country/city would not always result in capitulation. Quite the opposite infact happened in London with the blitz. It only made the peoples resolve and will to fight stronger. Also not all subs were operational even by wars end. I-402 after its ill fated mission was used/converted to carry fuel desperate for Japan but never undertook this mission. Subs l-404 & l-405 were never finished, although l-404 was nearly 90% done. And it took 45 mins to arm, prepare and launch just three aircraft. So for nearly an hour they were effectively sitting ducks. As everyone always says, good idea bit too little too late.

A SBD-5 Dauntless dive bomber of Bombing Squadron 5 from the aircraft carrier USS Yorktown over Wake Island, October 5th or 6th, 1943.
Sys, if that photo was taken in October '43, would it possible that this flight would be from VB-10 of the new Yorktown (CV-10)?
Since the CV-5 Yorktown was lost in June '42, surviving aircraft (VF, VT, VB and VS) would have been transferred to other units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back