Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Daimler Armoured Car in Netherlands 1944. Note it's 2 pounder gun is fitted with the Littlejohn squeeze bore adapter which almost doubled penetration with special tungsten core ammo.
Daimler-Arnhem.jpg

Aichi M6A Seiran. Built solely to operate from one of Japans super subs, the l-400.View attachment 490961
Just for the record, the I-400 was actually a class of IJN submarine, "Toku-gata Sensuikan". 18 units were ordered, only three made it to operation: I-400, I-401 and I-402. Of these three, only I-400 and I-401 were used as carriers as I-402 was converted to a tanker. Each I-400 could carry up to three M6A aircraft.

In addition to the I-400 subs, the IJN also had I-13 and I-14 modified to carry two Aichis each.

Just for the record, the I-400 was actually a class of IJN submarine, "Toku-gata Sensuikan". 18 units were ordered, only three made it to operation: I-400, I-401 and I-402. Of these three, only I-400 and I-401 were used as carriers as I-402 was converted to a tanker. Each I-400 could carry up to three M6A aircraft.

In addition to the I-400 subs, the IJN also had I-13 and I-14 modified to carry two Aichis each.
Yes, i read up on them a couple of years back. The amount of engineering and modifications they had to do im not sure the plan was even worth putting into practice, what with it diverting a lot of resources at a time when the Japanese really couldnt afford to partake in flights of fancy. The aircraft had backward rotating wings to fit into the sub. And they had to develope a way of heating the engine oil on the Aichi so it could take off as soon as it rolled out. Obviously running the engine in the hanger/designated area was both dangerous and outside too slow. I think it was ahead of its time in some aspects but totally flawed in others. A good idea but simply not practical. The chances of sneaking up on the US coast and carrying out what in effect would be nothing more than a bee sting to the Americans was i think highly unlikely and open to attack/disaster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back