Picture of the day. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Histomil.com
wehrmacht_soldiers_in_action_eastern_front-jpg.584165
Wehrmacht_soldiers_in_action_Eastern_Front.jpg

The first anniversary of D-day, has been declared a holiday for all troops by General Eisenhower, and will be observed in a series of simple ceremonies held on the beaches where British and United States troops landed twelve months ago. The Normandy beaches show little evidence of the mighty struggle which took place there when the Allied invasion forces stormed ashore. Madame Alanche Chapelle, and her daughter, Helene Chapelle kneeling in the war cemetery behind the invasion beaches in France on June 6, 1945, to pay homage to the Allied soldiers who died on the invasion beaches.

img.jpg

SB2C-4 Helldiver of VJ-17 in flight near Guam, 6 June 1945.

View attachment 584190

Hi Syscom3,

Do you have any record of where that photo originated? There are a handful of photos of Navy aircraft with vestiges of white wing stripes, and I'm hoping to figure out what the stripes meant. I suspect they were added for a single raid (or perhaps several raids at different times?), then removed for normal operations. At the time this image was taken, VJ-17 had 3 x TBF-1Cs and 10 x TBM-1Cs - probably used aircraft turned in by operational squadrons. Those stripes could have come from prior use, or perhaps VJ-17 had some sort of markings for special missions (DDT spraying? target towing?)

Anyway - it's a great photo that I'd not seen before.

Cheers,

Dana

Hi Syscom3,

Do you have any record of where that photo originated? There are a handful of photos of Navy aircraft with vestiges of white wing stripes, and I'm hoping to figure out what the stripes meant. I suspect they were added for a single raid (or perhaps several raids at different times?), then removed for normal operations. At the time this image was taken, VJ-17 had 3 x TBF-1Cs and 10 x TBM-1Cs - probably used aircraft turned in by operational squadrons. Those stripes could have come from prior use, or perhaps VJ-17 had some sort of markings for special missions (DDT spraying? target towing?)

Anyway - it's a great photo that I'd not seen before.

Cheers,

Dana
Sorry, I have no info. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back