Picture of the day.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Histomil.com
bundesarchiv_bild_101i-445-1861-18-_nordafrika-_arbeit_an_bordwaffen_einer_me_210-410-jpg.588409
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-445-1861-18,_Nordafrika,_Arbeit_an_Bordwaffen_einer_Me_210-410.jpg

Dieppe.jpg

3,623 men perished during the catastrophic Allied sea bound attack on the German occupied port of Dieppe on 19 August 1942. It was a clear lesson on how not to do it – and it greatly affected the planning and operation of the later Normandy Landings some two years later. No photo credit available.

WarHistory.com
The Royal Navy during the Dieppe Raid.
the_royal_navy_during_the_second_world_war-_the_dieppe_raid_august_1942_a11230-741x550.jpg
the_dieppe_raid_19_august_1942_h22604-629x640.jpg

Disaster it was, but for those who made it back in one piece, soldier's like Colonel Whitaker, of the RHLIs, it was an education for what lay ahead after D-Day. He and his men were better soldiers for the baptism of disasters, called war,
Denis Whitaker - Wikipedia
His war histories of the period are lively, and observant. **** :)

Last edited:
PBYs of VP-73 return to Reykjavik, Iceland after a patrol, 23 March 1942
I was impressed by the picture of Keflavik airport (Reykjavik). I had flown into Keflavik a couple of time, once on ILS (insturment landing system) approach, and once on a circling approach, both times at minimums. It seemed very barren at the time, like someone had placed a runway on a rock jutting out into the sea, which I think it really was. I do understand that Iceland is a very beautiful place, just not Keflavik. Of course P-3s (at the time) were stationed there most likely patrolling the GIUP (Greenland, Iceland, United Kingdom) gap.

Martin JRM cargo transport seaplane named ''Hawaii Mars'' being inspected by men of the Naval Training School at the Glenn L. Martin plants in Baltimore, July 14, 1945
When I first saw the Spruce Goose in Long Beach I was not as impressed as most because I had already seen this and other seaplanes at the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola. All those planed were huge, even the twin engine ones.

On this day 75 years ago, July 16 1945. A deck load of U.S. Army Air Force Republic P-47N Thunderbolt fighters on the flight deck of USS Casablanca (CVE-55), 16 July 1945. The planes were loaded at Naval Air Station Alameda, California (USA) and were bound for Guam.
Powerful aircraft with 2800 hp available up to 33k and a top speed of 467 mph at that altitude, and long legs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back