Picture of the day.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

USS Missouri (BB-63) at anchor in Tokyo Bay, Japan, 2 September 1945, the day that Japanese surrender ceremonies were held on her deck. Note SC-1 floatplanes on her catapults and boats moored at her stern.

USS+Missouri+(BB-63)+at+anchor+in+Tokyo+Bay,+Japan,+2+September+1945,+the+day+that+Japanese+su...jpg

Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, USN, signs the Instrument of Surrender as United States Representative, aboard USS Missouri (BB-63), 2 September 1945. Standing directly behind him are (left-to-right): General of the Army Douglas MacArthur; Admiral William F. Halsey, USN, and Rear Admiral Forrest Sherman, USN.

Fleet+Admiral+Chester+W.+Nimitz,+USN,+signs+the+Instrument+of+Surrender+as+United+States+Repre...jpg

The Pax Americana has begun.

General Douglas MacArthur speaking aboard USS Missouri (BB-63), Tokyo Bay, Japan, 2 September 1945.

"These proceedings are closed." The war is finally over.

View attachment 593620
Is there any information on the U.S. flag in the background? I've read the ensign from U.S.S. Arizona was lost. Was the flag in the background at Pearl Harbor?

Is there any information on the U.S. flag in the background? I've read the ensign from U.S.S. Arizona was lost. Was the flag in the background at Pearl Harbor?

I believe thats the flag that Commodore Perry flew on his ship when he sailed into Tokyo harbor and opened up Japan to the outside world.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back