Picture of the day. (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A-20J Havoc 43-9639 #18 47th BG named Princess Ruthie . Looks like a belly landing. Look at the props.

View attachment 593399
I agree with Greg. I suspect that this was a lack of clearance from something. However, the tips are bent back. That indicates the power was off when they came in contact with a surface. If they are bent forward, they were under power. Both right and left look about the same, so both throttles were likely closed. The roundels have bars and it looks like blue surround, so sometime after late 1943. The 47th was in Italy. Maybe the wing next to the plane is an airplane that caused the deformation? If Princess Ruthie was holding short of the runway (the gravel in the foreground?) perhaps the other airplane was landing or taking-off? The gun panels are off on the nose. Maybe a mechanic was doing a run-up and got to close to an active runway? There also looks like a hole behind the flight deck.
The wing on the left of the picture looks like a night ops aircraft. It is either the top of the left wing or the bottom of the right wing.

Histomil.com
Captured Hitler Youth
212121021_os.jpg

I agree with Greg. I suspect that this was a lack of clearance from something. However, the tips are bent back. That indicates the power was off when they came in contact with a surface. If they are bent forward, they were under power. Both right and left look about the same, so both throttles were likely closed. The roundels have bars and it looks like blue surround, so sometime after late 1943. The 47th was in Italy. Maybe the wing next to the plane is an airplane that caused the deformation? If Princess Ruthie was holding short of the runway (the gravel in the foreground?) perhaps the other airplane was landing or taking-off? The gun panels are off on the nose. Maybe a mechanic was doing a run-up and got to close to an active runway? There also looks like a hole behind the flight deck.
The wing on the left of the picture looks like a night ops aircraft. It is either the top of the left wing or the bottom of the right wing.

Sorry? Bent forward? I have never seen such a thing. Can someone post an example?

Seen at RAF Coltishall's 'At Home' day in September 1960, aircrews of five aircraft assemble next to their aircraft prior to a flight to mark the 20th anniversary of the Battle of Britain. They are: Hawker Hurricane IIc LF363 and Supermarine Spitfire PRXIXR PM631 both of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight, Gloster Meteor F.8 WL164, Hawker Hunter FGA9 XK136 of No 74 Squadron, Gloster Javelin FAW.9R XH894 of No 23 Squadron and the recently introduced English Electric Lightning F.1 XM137 of the Air Fighting Development Squadron, part of the Central Fighter Establishment.

Seen+at+RAF+Coltishall's+'At+Home'+day+in+September+1960--- (1).jpg

Both aircraft engines were producing power when they struck the ground. Propellers flex and the tips when powered are spinning forward of the hub. The converse is also true.

Attachments

• DB512670-BA00-4BB3-8468-936015271CC8.png
    DB512670-BA00-4BB3-8468-936015271CC8.png
    187.5 KB · Views: 43
  • F9179F88-2BCE-4EE7-8476-6675C014F035.png
    F9179F88-2BCE-4EE7-8476-6675C014F035.png
    26.6 KB · Views: 49
Well........
I was taught, just before making contact with the ground to cut power,
then cycle the stater to get the blades to clear ground contact.
In a ground strike of the prop tips it's mandatory to break down and overhaul the engine.
Granted in the case of three or four bladed props, this is impossible.
But I was flying little planes.
It's amazing how the blades flex forward under full power!
Just sayin.

Well........
I was taught, just before making contact with the ground to cut power,
then cycle the stater to get the blades to clear ground contact.
In a ground strike of the prop tips it's mandatory to break down and overhaul the engine.
Granted in the case of three or four bladed props, this is impossible.
But I was flying little planes.
It's amazing how the blades flex forward under full power!
Just sayin.
Yes.
If you've got a two bladed prop and enough altitude/presence of mind-your suggestion works. You end up the ace of the base. That is, unless the loss of power/gear up was your fault.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back