Picture of the day. (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

German He-162 Volksjäger on public display after the war in Hyde Park, London, England, United Kingdom, 14 September 1945.

View attachment 594946
This is the one preserved in the Canadian Aviation and Space Museum in Ottawa. Here is the official story:
This Volksjäger was assembled by Heinkel Flugzeugwerke GmbH at the Heinkel-Nord plant in Rostock-Marienehe, Germany, probably in late February or March 1945. The aircraft was captured from the Luftwaffe at Leck on May 8, 1945. Shipped to the United Kingdom in June of the same year, it was exhibited as a war trophy in Hyde Park, London during September. Stored in the United Kingdom until the following spring, it was shipped to Canada in September 1946 and, in the RCAF's possession, likely stored. It was transferred to the Canadian War Museum in 1964 and to this Museum by 1967.

I've seen this bird so many times. A couple of years ago it was still in the storage and I made dozens of photos from a very short distance. I believe the nose cone (you can see that it's broken) is not the original one. AFAIR the latter was given to a British museum (RAF Hendon?) for their exemplar.
Canada had a second exemplar WNr. 120076, which was traded many years ago to a private English owner and is now on display at the Deutsches Technikmuseum in Berlin.

It's kind of funny that you still can see the above a/c in the image gallery of the Canadian Aviation and Space Museum - see here:
Heinkel He 162A-1 Volksjäger (120086) | Ingenium

Last edited:
One of my favorite planes. I looked on wikipedia to see what A-20s survived. I was amazed at the number of Nations had A-20s on display. Here is the list
Australia
Brazil
Finland
Papua New Guinea
Poland
Russia
UK
USA
Must have been a very useful aircraft. Saw no flyable examples.

Users who are viewing this thread