Pictures of Cold War aircraft.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

While we're on "French/esoteric", the ONERA Deltaviex: I've seen this afew times and each time it's a little more complete. It did fly - and it's TINY!!!

Attachments

• Deltaviex (2).jpg
    Deltaviex (2).jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 6
What may have been: An early iteration of Boeing's Model 818 proposal to fulfil the TFX program - that went on to become the F-111.
Boeing design had about 20% compatibility between the USAF and USN versions of the TFX. The GD design has about 80% compatibility and that was a major factor in its selection. Of course the USN version was cancelled so that proved to be a useless feature that had a significant negative impact on the USAF version.

Oh, to be able to afford doing up an F-80 right.
I was at an airshow at Vance AFB and a young man was talking to the pilot who had flown in a T-33A. They had found an F-80 somewhere and traded an air conditioner for a J-33 engine. And a friend of mine owned an F-80 for several years. Back in the early 70's he went over to a junkyard in SW FL to see about buying some T-33's and there was rather forlorn looking F-80 there and he bought it too. Sold them for a lot more than he paid for them years later.

Here is a T-33A I like to visit when I drive up to see my brother in GA.

DSCN1520.JPG

I was at an airshow at Vance AFB and a young man was talking to the pilot who had flown in a T-33A. They had found an F-80 somewhere and traded an air conditioner for a J-33 engine. And a friend of mine owned an F-80 for several years. Back in the early 70's he went over to a junkyard in SW FL to see about buying some T-33's and there was rather forlorn looking F-80 there and he bought it too. Sold them for a lot more than he paid for them years later.

Here is a T-33A I like to visit when I drive up to see my brother in GA.

View attachment 770025
What year was the show at Vance? I did pilot training there.

Read recently that when they sent an F-86D to overhaul they yanked the radar and replaced the radome with a metal one. So those pictures of F-86D's with metal noses may not be all that odd after all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back