Pictures of Cold War aircraft. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree at the time I posted that I did not know that both types were assembled at the same location. It makes sense to me that all the A/C in the picture are pre delivery to their respected services.
Ok I'm missing something here. The B-36 was built at the Convair plant at Ft Worth, across from Carswell AFB (now belongs to Lockheed Martin) where the F-35 is being built. The Crusader is Chance Vought, not built in that plant. Yes built in Dallas but several miles away.

6c2686fe961f956773f6e0e7bb7d7c1f.jpg

A Fairey Delta type 221 experimental jet takes off for it's maiden flight at BAC Filton in Bristol flown by test pilot Geoffrey
Auty. 14th May 1964.
BAC 221; never "Fairey Delta type 221", even if it was derived from the latter. BAC test pilot was Godfrey Auty, not Geoffrey.

I did not interest in the development history of the H-19 and I'm too lazy right now to search for information on it. But I'm curious, whether Sikorsky encountered flutter of the main rotor blades on this helicopter? It was one of the most dangerous surprises during Mi-4 testing, and the history of blade design improvement was very long, the first blades had a service life of about 150 hours. But the Mi-4's main rotor is much larger, so the H-19 might not have experienced this phenomenon.

It could be an Mi-4, but I doubt its Soviet. No red star, and look at the soldiers/guards.
The uniform is typical for the Soviet border troops in the 1960s. The red star is present - the image is heavily retouched, but you can still recognize it on the rear hatch flap behind the bright emblem. Unfortunately, the green color of the caps and shoulder straps is completely distorted. This is a typical staged photo from the Soviet times.

The uniform is typical for the Soviet border troops in the 1960s. The red star is present - the image is heavily retouched, but you can still recognize it on the rear hatch flap behind the bright emblem. Unfortunately, the green color of the caps and shoulder straps is completely distorted. This is a typical staged photo from the Soviet times.

Yeah, maybe…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back