Pictures of Cold War aircraft.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bob Hoover and friend.

Bob_Hoover_T28B_SM.jpg

Why did they give it that name? USC?
Had to name it something, been doing ever since the British kept naming all our stuff. If you can't beat 'em join 'em. Prior to WWII a Sherman was a M4 tank medium and a P-38 was a P-38. After the British got ahold of our equipment it all had names. In an America our kid are child male number 1 child female number 3 do on and so forth.

😄

Had to name it something,
Well, the T-6 was the Texan for the US and the Harvard for the Brits. Its predecessor was the Yale. If that was a precedent the T-28 should have been named after either a state or a college. Trojan is the USC mascot, so maybe it was something like that. The T-28 was based on a tail-dragging replacement for the SNJ that was designed to also be a light attack aircraft. I'd always assumed the T-28 was based on the P-51 and thus would be a good basis for an unlimited racer, but a friend of mine lent his facility to someone rebuilding one and he pointed out they did not use flush rivets. Cheaper and stronger was more important than speed.

XSN2J.jpg
XSN2J-2.jpg

Since the T-28 was a trainer and a Trojan is a brand of protection er "garment" and you want to protect the instructor pilot (who cares about the student) I figure that's where they got it as is ain't no Mustang or Saber!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back