Pictures of Cold War aircraft. (11 Viewers)

It may be ugly to some but it is one of my fav aircraft, I have built one in RAN colours and have the Airfix kit sitting in my small stash.
I had a 1/72 scale model of one, too. Back in the mid-60's the local Zayre store had a large number of Frog models under the Airlines label selling for 22 cents each. I think I bought at least one of everything they had, although I never actually assembled that one: too ugly.
 
x-2_support.jpg
 
I had a 1/72 scale model of one, too. Back in the mid-60's the local Zayre store had a large number of Frog models under the Airlines label selling for 22 cents each. I think I bought at least one of everything they had, although I never actually assembled that one: too ugly.
I have mentioned this incident before but it was some time ago, so apologies for those who remember it.

I was at Duxford where they had an AEW version outside with its wings folded and two Americans were just standing, looking at it for quite a time without saying a word. Then one lent over to the other and said 'Do you think UK pilots can refuse to fly a plane just because its so damn ugly'. I started laughing and they were a little embarrassed as they turned around, but I assured them that I could see where they were coming from.

We agreed that in the end beauty is, as beauty does, and it was a pretty good AEW aircraft for the time and a very good ASW aircraft before that.
 
That might be a good example. Here is another.
I recall reading that originally Grumman wanted to make the right and left wings on the F8F of different lengths to help compensate for P-factor, bu the Navy said that would not look right.

View attachment 791171
The Two Headed Ground Hogus Maximus…
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back