Pictures of Cold War aircraft.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hughes_YOH-6A_Cayuse_US_Army_in_flight.jpg

One of the most infamous Soviet airplanes of the Cold War. The accident rate was extremely high. Landing was particularly difficult. Although there is a known case of this airplane landing after the pilot was ejected, the airplane remained intact and after minor repairs was operated further.
Like the Cornfield Bomber did?

I love love LOVE these helicopters so much especially the kiowa. Such a unique looking platform

I always liked it too. Interestingly the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior was so overweighted with all the armament and equipment though. At least that is what buddy who was a Kiowa Warrior pilot told me.

When we flew into Iraq, we had two Kiowa Warriors with us all the way to Tikrit from Kuwait. We had to stop in Babylon so one of the Kiowa Warriors could be temp repaired. It blew outs it chin bubble when test firing its .50 cal.

Actually further research seems to indicate this was definitely a one-off trial: "The idea of an armed helicopter gained new impetus during the French war in Algeria in 1957. By July 1957 a lengthy report was available. By March 1959 tests had been made on mounting a French-designed, SS–11 wire-guided, air-to-surface missile on an HOK"

Source

Plus clearer photos:

Image 6-1-2024 at 4.01 am.jpg

Image 6-1-2024 at 4.01 am.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back