Pictures of Cold War aircraft. (3 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just did a check Don, C-5 opens at front, so it must have been a Galaxy. :D
Apparently I didn't make myself clear. I is a C-5 Galaxy, I worked them for two years at Dover AFB, DE from 78-80 as it is the only one present that the USAF operates that the visor (nose) opens on. The C-17 came on line near the end of my career can not neal and only the aft cargo doors will take or drop cargo. But when I read my response it was anything but clear.

I know Vic. I just didn't explain myself correctly the first time around. When I was at Dover, 436MAW, we shipped between five to seven F-5 freedom fighters at a time to the Swiss. I forgot how many they brought, they were all palatized nose high one behind the other wings beside. It was pretty cool, saw a lot of really odd ball stuff. We shipped a hugh electro magnet to USSR on a tractor trailer (low boy). Drive in the back and out the front. Kneel down and it was pretty cool. C-17 is pretty cool in its own right but is missing several features such as the kneeling option.

I know Vic. I just didn't explain myself correctly the first time around. When I was at Dover, 436MAW, we shipped between five to seven F-5 freedom fighters at a time to the Swiss. I forgot how many they brought, they were all palatized nose high one behind the other wings beside. It was pretty cool, saw a lot of really odd ball stuff. We shipped a hugh electro magnet to USSR on a tractor trailer (low boy). Drive in the back and out the front. Kneel down and it was pretty cool. C-17 is pretty cool in its own right but is missing several features such as the kneeling option.
The biggest boy I've has time with is possibly a C130 and that is only a few minor loading's in Saudi and Oman, but the one boy I did have a lot to do with was a Blackburn Beverley way back in the mid 1960s. Once had one of your fellow countrymen come and ask me how the undercarriage retracted, check it out, you'll have a laugh. :D

an AV-8B Harrier aircraft from U.S. Marine Light Attack Squadron 513 (VMA-513) as it hovers above a portable runway
during Operation COMFORT, Twentynine Palms, California, 9 March 1983.

aARIGHT~1.jpg

an AV-8B Harrier aircraft from U.S. Marine Light Attack Squadron 513 (VMA-513) as it hovers above a portable runway
during Operation COMFORT, Twentynine Palms, California, 9 March 1983.

View attachment 710645
Not a -B... it is either an -A or a -C (upgraded -A).

The -B had a more bubble-type canopy:

AV-8B night attack VMA-311.jpg

And the radar-equipped "AV-8B+"... which should have been designated AV-8D if not for the need to fool low-information Congresscritters by claiming it was simply a "minor upgrade".

VMA-214 AV-8B+ #2.jpg

AV-8B+ Remanufacture plan.jpg

Last edited:
Something to ruin a Sailor's day:

View attachment 711470
Back in 82 I was stationed with the 43rd strategic wing on Andersen AFB Guam. We had an exercise where the Navy was supposed to defend the island. We had B-52D's and were acting as the aggressor. Over the next week we were able to simulate sinking three carriers with no intercepts. On the last day of the exercise the Navy (flying F-14A Tomcats) got ahold of the flight schedule for our Buffs and tried to calculate an intercept, needless to say, a B-52 can stay in the air longer than a F-14 and the buffs were later to the party the navy put on, splash one more flat top!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back