Pictures of Cold War aircraft. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

grum955F9F-8TrefuelingbyF84FThunder.jpg

source Warbird Information Exchange • View topic - Grumman, the people that made the planes 12 SEPT 2010

I hope you are correct! As to my eyes he is already past the barrier! I sure am glad they had installed angled decks by the time I served!

And I think the Barriers were moved aft after the angle deck's where installed. Not sure of that though.

Last edited:
Quad 50s gun pack in the second photo. I have not seen that and such an odd angle. Any information about it?
It was an experimental Emerson X17A gun turret some more info here.

grum1024F9F-3Emersonturretgunsdown1.jpg

nther_with_Emerson_turret_in_flight_in_early_1950s.jpg

X-17AGunsight.jpg

Interesting I completely missed the quad fifty mount. It's completely possible I miss interpreted that first photo as I see a line in the deck which appears to come up to the nose gear, and the extreme nose down attitude implies it's catching a barrier. Though my own recollection of a barrier was a heavy nylon set of strips connected by the same top and bottom. And what do I know but watching movies and reading books! Air Force winnie!

As for the Emerson Fighter Turret, I only know what I read in the link I posted, and I found an old thread about it with a search on this site here

And I found out the Air Force tried out something similar on a F89! I was not aware of that!

As for the ladder for filling the F9F tip tanks when folded, I see the picture above the 1st one showing the nose Turret seems to show the ladder hooked around the tank and had soft pads to not damage the upper wing surface. I learned 2 things today before noon!

As for the Emerson Fighter Turret, I only know what I read in the link I posted, and I found an old thread about it with a search on this site here

And I found out the Air Force tried out something similar on a F89! I was not aware of that!

As for the ladder for filling the F9F tip tanks when folded, I see the picture above the 1st one showing the nose Turret seems to show the ladder hooked around the tank and had soft pads to not damage the upper wing surface. I learned 2 things today before noon!
Yeah, I'm at relearning for the third or fourth time each day, makes things much more interesting 🤔

I am breaking the rules with a 2nd picture but I think this one is awesome! And it has a Super Guppy!

View attachment 712608

source Warbird Information Exchange • View topic - Grumman, the people that made the planes 12 SEPT 2010

My first thought was strafing, like the B25 gunships.

Torrejon Air Base, Spain, 5 April 1983: Captain Oltman stands by to answer questions as visitors inspect the cockpit of an
F-16 Fighting Falcon aircraft. The aircraft is on display during a ceremony marking the conversion of the 401st Tactical
Fighter Wing from F-4 Phantom II aircraft to F-16s and the unit`s 40th anniversary.

TORREJ_1.jpg

You Go Girl!

April 12, 1963, At Edwards Air Force Base, California, Jacqueline ("Jackie") Cochran, Colonel, U.S. Air Force Reserve,
established a Fédération Aéronautique Internationale (FAI) World Speed Record when she flew a
two-place Lockheed TF-104G Starfighter, FAA registration N104L, over a 9.32/15.53 miles straight
course at an average speed 1,273.115 miles per hour.

Jackie+Cochran+with+the+Lockheed+TF-104G+Starfighter+N104L,+World+Record+Holder..png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back