Pilots and Pets

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tieleader

Staff Sergeant
Feb 4, 2016
Hey, guys!
Since we all love our four legged friends I thought a thread with pixs of pilots and their mascots (of all kinds) would be a good addition. Dogs, cats,monkeys, whatever!
To get the ball rolling I give you "Strumpi" ,a fox terrier mascot of 9/54 together with Fw. Friedrich Ungar in a D-9.
struppi3.jpg

What else have you guys got?

These are just my postings to get started. What have you guys got/ found? Please chime in!

F/Sgt James Hyde of No 132 Squadron RAF stands next to Dingo, the commander's pet dog and squadron mascot, at RAF Detling in 1944. Hyde arrived from San Juan, Trinidad, more than two years previously to commence his training in Britain and was killed in action near Nijmegen on 25 September 1944, flying a Spitfire Mk IXe
Hyde  and Dingo.jpg

https://www.pinterest.com

No pictures (that I am aware of) but a Dornier bomber was shot down during the Battle of Britain and there was a cat on board.
He caused the rescuers alot of grief and was a handful at the animal shelter where he was kept, too.

According to the story, it took some time for the "enemy" to come around but eventually settled in.

Now I know that Wing Commander Guy Gibson had a black Labrador that had the now unfortunate which may not be used in polite society. You all know what it is I'm sure.

Now the thing is I have only found pictures of Richard Todd as Gibson with dog from the film version; but have not found any pictures of the real Gibson and dog.

Anyone?

Now I know that Wing Commander Guy Gibson had a black Labrador that had the now unfortunate which may not be used in polite society. You all know what it is I'm sure.

Now the thing is I have only found pictures of Richard Todd as Gibson with dog from the film version; but have not found any pictures of the real Gibson and dog.

Anyone?
Not the clearest shots but here you go...
Guy Gibson.jpg
He who shall not be named.jpg

Pinterest.com

That 'group' pic of Gibson with his dog has always puzzled me. From what I've seen of captions in a number of books, it was taken to celebrate the award of Gibson's VC, awarded for the Dams raid, but his original dog was killed the evening before they took of for the raid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back