Pilots that use GPS, take note!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
Numerous previously IFR-certified GPS receivers might now be unapproved for flying many instrument procedures due to recent FAA policy changes, according to AOPA. On Thursday, the association said the FAA's Advisory Circular 90-100A, issued in March, indicates that only three GPS models -- the Garmin 400, 500 and G1000 series -- are now legal. Other models made by Garmin, including the new GNS 480 WAAS receiver, as well as receivers manufactured by Chelton, Honeywell, Northstar, and Trimble are listed as "noncompliant," AOPA said. (Click here for a more comprehensive compliance list.) AOPA said the the FAA has committed to work to resolve the pilot group's concerns over these policy changes. The action, as it now stands, means up to 26,000 GPS users no longer comply with a 1996 FAA policy that allows GPS to be used in lieu of ADF or DME.

FAA Policy Change Voids Many IFR GPS Units

Good post Eric! I saw that today. The guys who fly the twin otters at the academy have concern because their GPS is on the "bad" list. Whats worse is we have a proposal in for a major cockpit upgrade and guess what? Chelton was the choice...

The plot thickens...

Yeah, nothing like bureaucracy to screw up the best laid plans. As someone on another forum posted:

"Today's FAA: We're not happy until you're not happy" It might be funny if it didn't have a ring of truth to it.

Yeah, nothing like bureaucracy to screw up the best laid plans. As someone on another forum posted:

"Today's FAA: We're not happy until you're not happy" It might be funny if it didn't have a ring of truth to it.

I personally am ambivalent towards gps. I've been trained primarily on old radio navaids, and am very comfortable using them. GPS is just such a pain in the duff to program when it's so much easier to just tune up various VORTACs and jump onto an ILS... Military applications aside, GPS is the moron's navaid of choice :D

Damn the FAA! They are turning big brotherish, even with respect to minor flight violations. Supposedly there are computers that will capture a violation to ensure enforcement. Gone will be the days of humbly apologizing to the controller... There's a time and a place, gentlemen.

I personally am ambivalent towards gps. I've been trained primarily on old radio navaids, and am very comfortable using them. GPS is just such a pain in the duff to program when it's so much easier to just tune up various VORTACs and jump onto an ILS... Military applications aside, GPS is the moron's navaid of choice :D

Damn the FAA! They are turning big brotherish, even with respect to minor flight violations. Supposedly there are computers that will capture a violation to ensure enforcement. Gone will be the days of humbly apologizing to the controller... There's a time and a place, gentlemen.

I think that all those old navaids are going to go away. Speaking of old navaids, I flew an A-N range in Canada once. I didn't need to, but I thought it would be fun. For you guys who don't know what an A-N range is, two partially overlapping beams are sent out. One broadcast A, dit dah, and one N, dah dit. You flew by listening to the transmitter. If you heard dit dah, you turned on one direction, if you heard dah dit, you turned in the other direction. If you heard Dah Dah Dah, you were on course. Another interesting approah I have flown was into Teheran (in the days of the
Shah). They had a four ADF approach to the ILS. Luckily, we had two ADF receivers and four control heads so it was relatively easy to move from one to the other.

mkloby, have you ever gotten back to Pensacola?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back