Plane part identification (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

madeinleith

Recruit
Sep 28, 2006
Need more information like where you found it, in what context (planecrash, battlefield, etc), and size.

Not sure, but here's a guess.

BSA was involved in turret manufacturing for tanks and howitzers. Not sure if they worked the airplane aspects, but perhaps so. It looks like the foot stirrup and pedals (left and right) for a gunners station. The stirrup is stippled with a rubber non-slip coating to keep the gunners feet from inadvertently sliding off. The pedals likely were used to translate the turret or gun mount. You can see that the pedals are slotted to accept cable rigging that likely connected to a solenoid initiating motor assist for the gun mount translation. While there is some wear on the foot stirrup, whatever this is the stirrup does not appear to have received years and years of use under the gunners boot.

The metal is in relatively good shape. Any more information?

Thanks for the reply Matt.
Sorry not much history with it, my brother and I played with it as kids
[50 yrs +] it only came to light again recently when my mum passed away and it was found in an old box.
My father was a medic during WW2 Italy and Middle East but did not talk
much of the war.

The coating is a type of stiff plastic.

The dimensions are 6 inch wide, 8 inch high and a depth of 1 inch.

The levers are a half inch wide and 3 inches in lengh.

Maybe too small for feet so possibly it is for a tank.
I had thought it was from a plane as I have seen pictures of similar looking parts in plane cockpits.

Thanks for your time and sorry for the double post last time.

Much to small then. I'm stumped. The stirrup is only 6 inches wide? Thus the pedals are only about a 1x1.5in?

Perhaps others have some idea. Unless you know you can tie it to aviation, I doubt that is its origin. It could be that it is a single foot stirrup whose pedal operation was supposed to activate two actions via separate mechanical cable assemblies. Can't think of an aviation application and BSA was more involved with ground armaments to the best of my knowledge.

As I said, I'm stumped. I'll see what else I can dig up.

Too crude don't ya think. I thought that initially too, like a P-47 control column. But why the pedals and not levers or buttons for soleniods? And cable rigging running to the top of the control column to connect the pedals? Seems excessively "robust" for a high tech airplane.

But then, I'm out of ideas. I'm beginning to think it might not be related to aviation at all.

To Lanc's point. Below is a Spitfire column with loop handle.

But ours has crude pedals, slots for cable rigging and the pedals seem to far apart to be manipulated with one hand. Do we know of any WWII fighters that had cable rigging on the control column that initiated the firing solenoids of the cannon/MGs?

Attachments

• 2006929113136_Spitfire_Cockpit.jpg
    2006929113136_Spitfire_Cockpit.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 99
Picture says it all. Found in FlyPast magazine I just bought today. October 2006 issues. Not sure what biplane but its a start.

Enjoy Midrow :lol:

Attachments

• Hawker biplane .jpg
    Hawker biplane .jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 87
well blow me down... so it is :lol: well spotted :lol:

it appears in an advert for Aero Clocks, here's the site with a lot more info about it, but here's the killer... they want £650 for theirs!

Control Grip

They ARE gun buttons. Similar to the Soviet IL-2, for example.

ah you're no longer talking about the two silver pedal-like things in the centre... my mistake..........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back