Planes of Fame Update

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks, Wildcat.

Hi Crimea River, the Sabre is still there, It just got polished. It is still in restoration and is owned by a private party, not a museum. The work being done on it is amazing. When it leaves, it will surely be one of the best Sabres flying today, what with new wiring, new avioncs, fresh polish, restored leading dege slats modification, and almost complete refurhish from the inside out.

Steve Hinton's Fighter Rebuilders is currently doing more than any other shop that I know of to keep the F-86 flying population up. The fact that Steve Hinton is flying lead for the Horsemen F-86 demo team may have something to do with that. They have now restored several and are pretty good at it. Unfortunately, vital parts are becomming scarce. So if you want one, NOW is the time while most of the vital parts can still be located.

As it is, if you want leading edge slats (if you have a Sabre, you want them), bring an airframe with slats on it already. Spare sets of slats are almost gone.

Of course , if you want to talk scarce, we have the only flying Northrop N9M Flying Wing with 2 1/2 engines to keep 2 flying, the only completely authentic A6M5 Model 52 Zero (we have two Nakajima Sakae 31 engines), one of two flying razorback P-47s (both P-47Gs), a very rare P-51A, the only flyable Seversky AT-12, an increasingly rare Douglas AD-4 Skyraider, the only flying Douglas SBD Dauntless (the others are all converted Army A-24s), the oldest flying F4U Corsair (started life as an F4U-1, then was upgraded to F4U-1a, then to F4U-1d), I believe the only flying Pilatus P-2 in the USA, one of a small handfull of the original Tora, Tora, Tora BT-15 to Japanese Val conversions, one of 7 flying P-38s, and a somewhat rare Flugwerke flying Fw 190 (with R-2800 power), so making parts that are scarce is nothing new to us ... we have been doing that for decades.

Wow, im also a big fan of early jets, like the AR 234, Meteor, ME 262, P 59 etc...that HE 178 is absolutely awesome, looks like something from George Jetson, I wonder how big or small or what ever it looks in person.

Last edited:
Thanks, Wildcat.

Hi Crimea River, the Sabre is still there, It just got polished. It is still in restoration and is owned by a private party, not a museum. The work being done on it is amazing. When it leaves, it will surely be one of the best Sabres flying today, what with new wiring, new avioncs, fresh polish, restored leading dege slats modification, and almost complete refurhish from the inside out.

Steve Hinton's Fighter Rebuilders is currently doing more than any other shop that I know of to keep the F-86 flying population up. The fact that Steve Hinton is flying lead for the Horsemen F-86 demo team may have something to do with that. They have now restored several and are pretty good at it. Unfortunately, vital parts are becomming scarce. So if you want one, NOW is the time while most of the vital parts can still be located.

As it is, if you want leading edge slats (if you have a Sabre, you want them), bring an airframe with slats on it already. Spare sets of slats are almost gone.

Of course , if you want to talk scarce, we have the only flying Northrop N9M Flying Wing with 2 1/2 engines to keep 2 flying, the only completely authentic A6M5 Model 52 Zero (we have two Nakajima Sakae 31 engines), one of two flying razorback P-47s (both P-47Gs), a very rare P-51A, the only flyable Seversky AT-12, an increasingly rare Douglas AD-4 Skyraider, the only flying Douglas SBD Dauntless (the others are all converted Army A-24s), the oldest flying F4U Corsair (started life as an F4U-1, then was upgraded to F4U-1a, then to F4U-1d), I believe the only flying Pilatus P-2 in the USA, one of a small handfull of the original Tora, Tora, Tora BT-15 to Japanese Val conversions, one of 7 flying P-38s, and a somewhat rare Flugwerke flying Fw 190 (with R-2800 power), so making parts that are scarce is nothing new to us ... we have been doing that for decades.
The sole surviving N-9M crashed last April, and when I went to the Planes of Fame Museum at the beginning of this month, I saw a Lockheed Lodestar under restoration to static display, and I saw an O-47 observation plane under restoration in the restoration hangar. Maybe someone at the Planes of Fame will have the QF-100 in the outside backyard of the museum sent off to the scrapyard because it suffered tail damage after it was hit by an AIM-120 missile in 1988.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back