plastic sheets ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ellis995

Staff Sergeant
Mar 15, 2009
Easington Lane UK
Hi every one

I have a question, about plastic sheets.

1. What is it used for,

2. Also could it be used to fill the gaps on models.

As i have never used them before:oops: as i just build the models straight out of the box then paint them.

Hi Keith,

Answer to 1 - these plastic sheets are offered as sheets of different thicknesses.( 0.1-3mm for instance) You can use them for all additional and scratch built parts. I mean irons,stringers, cross-sections , instrument panels, etc....really used for various ones.Also it is possible to make whole main parts , a fuselage , wing halves etc...

Answer to 2 - yes it can.

Please look at my thread about the Fw190A6 Stumjager of Sturmstaffel1.

Hi Keith. Plastic sheet, often called plastic card in the UK, is simply that - sheets of card-like plastic, very often white in colour, and available in various thicknesses, or gauges, up to about 2mm, which is thick enough to build houses with!
Most modellers will use the thinner varieties, some roughly the thickness of copier paper, another more or less the same as the card found on good quality greetings cards, and some more like a stiff mounting card.
It's used for virtually any application in modelling you can think of, from scratch-building, for example, floors and bulkheads in aircraft models, making boxes or 'boxing-in' wheel wells and gun bays to filling cut-out areas, It can be easily cut or scored, and is therefore useful for cutting into small strips to fill or bridge gaps, although strips are normally used for this work. Plastic strip is just that, the same gauges of plastic, cut to mvarious width strips, normally about 10 to 12 inches long.
Manufacturers such as Slaters, and Javis in the UK supply these materials to the model and hobby shops, as well as 'Evergreen' and 'Plastruct', who also make other plastic structural materials, such as 'H' beams, angle strip, tubes and rods etc, mostly used in the archtitectural model making industry, by design studios and film company model makers, as well as a great many scale modellers.
Most of the UK-based mail order model comapnies will list, and supply, plastic sheet and the other products mentioned above, as well as embossed sheets, representing paving, roof tiles, brick and stone walling, cobbles etc etc., the latter products normally used in model railways.
Hope this answers your question mate.

Thanks Worjtek and Terry

I might have to buy some at a later date ( skint, got to save like mad ).

I am getting really into this model makeing mullarky now. WHO to blame for this hmmmmmm.

I know this forum :lol::lol::lol:. ( just kidding )

I have only MYSELF to blame

Keith , I think it is quite natural that a modeller at some skill level wants to start makking much more than a kit offers.So don't blame yourself for that.

But I would like to ask you a question.What does the word "mullarky" mean? I cannot find its translation in my dictionaries.Could you explain , please?

Last edited:
The main body of this is made from Plasic Card
97818.jpg

I use it all the time for all sorts of things from adding a small piece of detail to full blown conversions.

The main wing iron for my Fw190A made of a plastic sheet.

Attachments

• iron3.jpg
    iron3.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 106
  • iron1.jpg
    iron1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 102
  • iron1b.jpg
    iron1b.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 110
  • iron2a.jpg
    iron2a.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 108
  • iron2a1.jpg
    iron2a1.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 123
  • iron2c.jpg
    iron2c.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 106
Hi Worjtek

I think " MULLARKY" means THIS STUFF THAT IS GOING ON i.e. when a group of friends are arguing between themselves in a room, and the one person who can not be bothered to get involved turns round and says i can't be bothered with this mullarky, and go's out of the room.

if i am wrong :oops: someone out there will put it wright.

Hi Worjtek

I think " MULLARKY" means THIS STUFF THAT IS GOING ON...
More correctly spelled 'malarkey' or 'malarky' unless I'm mistaken
could be why you can't find it Wotjek, I'll have a look

malarkey Show Spelled Pronunciation [muh-lahr-kee] Show IPA
Use malarkey in a Sentence
Noun informal. Speech or writing designed to obscure, mislead, or impress; bunkum: The claims were just a lot of malarkey.

Also malarky.

Origin: 1925-30, Americanism; orig. uncert.

So it is spelled both ways. To be honest, that's not quite the context I use it in but things have moved since 1925

Last edited:
OK. Thank you both. How to pronounce it?
Yes
ellie's interpretation is closer to how I'd use it - "I'm not getting involved in all that malarkey" doesn't mean it's bullsh*t or intended to deceive, more like eg it looks too complicated for what its designed to solve and I can't be bothered with it.

Pronounce: [muh-lahr-kee]

I might have to buy some at a later date ( skint, got to save like mad ).

I'm in the same boat Keith, so I currently use thin plastic 'no smoking' (or more correctly 'Dohányozni tilos' - they're in Hungarian :) ) signs that my mother-in-law "acquired" from her work... They're slightly harder than the styrene sheets offered for modelmaking purposes, but I don't have a problem with them.

Yes
ellie's interpretation is closer to how I'd use it - "I'm not getting involved in all that malarkey" doesn't mean it's bullsh*t or intended to deceive, more like eg it looks too complicated for what its designed to solve and I can't be bothered with it.

Pronounce: [muh-lahr-kee]

True...but once the beer is flowing 'bullsh!t' would be a suitable substitute!!:lol::lol:

A load of sh!t (or more politely 'crap') is a common one back in NZ, with appropriate 'F' expletives added as occasion demands! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back