Please help me identify this aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

wbtyler

Recruit
Aug 3, 2007
My father served in the 413th Figher Group (SE) during WWII on Ie Shima, a small island off Okinawa.

In his memorabilia, I came accross the attached photos of an aircraft I have never seen and am wondering if anyone can identify it.

The photos would have been taken between June and November 1945, most likely in Ie Shima.

Thanks for your help.

Wes Tyler

Attachments

• ie shima I-18 01.bmp
    706.1 KB · Views: 336
  • ie shima I-18 02.bmp
    1.6 MB · Views: 321
Nice photos Wes!

Easy, it's an "Okha Bomb."http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/aero/aircraft/kugisho_okha.htm

What did your father do with the 413th?

My Dad was a supply officer. He wrote a narrative of his time in transport to Ie Shima and his time on the island up until VJ Day. I've been organizing his photos and memorabilia. I'm thinking of self publishing the story.

The funny thing is that the 413th flew P-47s and there's not a single photo of one.

Here is, I suspect, an easier plane for you to identify. If you could, I'd appreciate it.

Attachments

• ie shima 010013A Tokyo Trolley.bmp
    459.3 KB · Views: 303
  • ie shima 010013B Tokyo Trolley.bmp
    446.2 KB · Views: 297
Thanks for your help.

Here are four photos of a crash, of what I think would also be a C-46?

Wes Tyler

Attachments

• ie shima plane crash 01 X396A Frontline Airline.bmp
    439.5 KB · Views: 256
  • ie shima plane crash 02 X396A Frontline Airline.bmp
    447.5 KB · Views: 268
  • ie shima plane crash 03 X396A Frontline Airline.bmp
    351.7 KB · Views: 261
  • ie shima plane crash 04 X396A Frontline Airline.bmp
    442.1 KB · Views: 271
I would love to see them.

Thanks,

Wes

That is a C-47 (DC-3) Dakota in that crash. But there is at least one other aircraft involved. There is the upright wingtip in the second photo -I'm pretty sure it doesn't belong to the C-47. In the third and fourth pictures there is a fuselage wedged under the C-47's fuselage. No idea what it or they are. Also interesting looking vehicle parked on top of cliff. No idea what that is either.

Upon close inspection, the vehicle appears to be a 2 1/2 ton truck. Thanks for noting the possible second aircraft.

As I've continued through my Dad's letters, I've noted that in the fall of '45 his unit was moved to Okinawa prior to returning home, so the crash may have taken place there.

Also, I have found the Okha, which started the thread:

Image:MXY7 Ohka Cherry Blossom Baka Ohka-7.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

It was captured on Okinawa and is now on display at Planes of Fame, Grand Cayon (Valle, AZ)

That is one of the 'baka bombs'. The American name for them at least, Baka means fool in Japanese - I think.

Ohka - means cherry blossom - the flower painted on its side.

As for that 'crash'. I don't think it is one. I assumed the photos were in sequence, but if that were the case you would see extensive fire damage on the C-47 in the third and forth photos. Given the date, it looks like they were getting rid of damaged, worn-out and war-surplus aircraft the quickest way they could. Something that happened a lot in the immediate post-war period.

Thanks for identifying the truck.

My Dad talked about the destruction of aircraft after hostilities ceased.

Good call.

Thank you.

My father was a navigator on the C-46 'Tokyo Trolley' and told stories about being the first of his aircraft type into Tokyo and spending the night sleeping under the plane.

I believe that dad was referencing the day after Emperor Hirohito's surrender speech on August 15, 1945. Unfortunately my father passed away 2013 June 13, so we've come to the end of his stories.

My father was a navigator on the C-46 'Tokyo Trolley' and told stories about being the first of his aircraft type into Tokyo and spending the night sleeping under the plane.

I created a website; 413th Fighter Group, 413th Fighter Group (SE) Home devoted to my Dad's fighter group (he was a supply officer). Related to the Tokyo Trolley, he wrote the following in a letter to my Mother;

"We slept under the plane Wednesday night, [September] the 27th [1945], just to make sure that we'd be taken
on the plane when it took off. Weren't sure that the pilot wouldn't claim that the ship was
overloaded. Knew that if he knew we'd slept under it he'd be under a certain compulsion
to take us. Johnny and I slept, I should say. Bill slept in his own sack. Since nothing
much had taken place by 0650….the pilot hadn't shown up, we felt free to go down to
breakfast, returning at about 0710. Much to our consternation, the both engines were
turning over and the back door was closed. While it's SOP (standard operating
procedure) for them to close the back door, we were still dismayed. Stationed Johnny at
the front of the plane in plain view of the pilot and I stayed back, out of the prop wash,
and knocked on the door once so that the crew member would know that we were there.
Finally, the warming up of the engines was accomplished and the door opened and we
climbed up the ladder which was dropped."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back