Plz i need some help i ruined my b29 monogram

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi, just a few suggestions:

First, look in your area for a 1" wide roll of yellow Shurtape #CP-60 (which stands for 60-day release) masking tape . This is very close to the same type as Tamiya Tape, but much cheaper. Even so, before putting it on the model, rub the tape across your forehead; this will add a touch of skin oil to make the tape even less sticky. The Shurtape also comes in wider rolls, but is more expensive. Usually available through hardware as well as big box stores.

Next, you need to make certain that ALL your materials are compatible. You can intermingle lacquer, enamel and acrylic paints, but you have to know how to do it. I pretty much use only Model Master enamels and Alclad II paints, because they play nice together. I PRIME EVERYTHING, except the clear parts...

I start with Alclad II grey primer, unless I'm looking to paint a natural metal surface, then generally, I'll use a black primer or gloss enamel. I then paint the metallics, let them dry, mask them off, then overshoot the other colors, usually enamel. I use an acrylic topcoat -- usually some sort of Alclad topcoat. With proper drying times, etc. I rarely ever have any paint lift while masking.

I usually hear this problem mentioned more frequently when acrylics are used throughout, but many modelers have overcome these issues. You'll just have to search a while on-line for others' experiences, then pick your options.

As far as putty goes, you may have bought the wrong kind of Bondo. If yours requires mixing a hardener with the base product, you bought the wrong kind for plastic modeling. You want "Bondo Glazing and Spot Putty", used to fill pinholes in regular Bondo, when used for automotive repairs. The correct stuff requires no hardener, and is much easier to sand. and it's much cheaper than Tamiya, on a per-ounce basis! Available at auto parts houses -- an industry standard in the U.S.

I recommend that you just bite the bullet, and start buying the correct items, one thing at a time, as you can afford it; add it to the stash and then store or take care of it properly. Eventually, you'll have what you need, and remember, it will never be cheaper than it is right now! Everything eventually rises in price, so eventually, you'll be modeling for a lot cheaper than younger modelers, at that time. For example, I still have some paints and even decals that I bought in the early 1970's, that I still use from time to time. It always makes me chuckle when I see the old price tags of $.79 - $1.29 on the bottles.

Modeling is a lifetime experience, and while it doesn't hurt at all to experiment, start building for the future.

One more thing, if you screw up a model beyond repair, save all the parts. One day, you'll need that spare engine or wheel for something. I never throw away anything that comes in a model box, INCLUDING the sprues of plastic!

Good luck from a close to ancient modeler...

Ed

Ok .I just got my sand paper and Tamya putty in mail. I decided to sand the entire plane. There are tons of mistakes and way to many coats of paint .As far as the grey .When I'm done sanding as you mentioned I'll spray the entire wings grey then tape areas where I want grey. Paint the plane and remove the tape where the grey is right away .I'm going to start this now I just wanted to check in with you. Also .Should I use any thinner at all while I sand?

Oh also. Should I paint the cawlings grey as well because they have grey on the top edges

Sanding is going to remove a lot of fine detail. You are better off using one of the paint removing suggestions like oven cleaner. Spray it on let it set for 24 hours or so and then just wash it off and use a tooth brush. I'm pretty sure that the rustoleum is an enamel. Check the label. If it is lacquer there is a product called CITRISTRIP that is an excellent paint remover has no fumes and will stay wet for +24hours

Well the details are mostly already ruined on the fuselage. I sanded it So much cud I couldn't get the putty right. So there lots of primer layers and chrome layers .I'll see what I'm gonna do

I just sanded a bit and striped it with paint thinner. Now I'm just going to lightly sand all of it and fix more gaps and stuff with the right putty this time. I think it's gonna work out well .I'm gonna paint it as you suggested before. Btw. I semi cracked my wing fire I'm rushing to much and not paying attention to what I'm doing .I'll have to putty that As well. Thx again for your help

Sorry for the belated answer but I couldn't be on line yesterday. To answer your questions..

Also .Should I use any thinner at all while I sand?

IMHO no you shouldn't. Just wash up the model with a warm water and dish liquid. It should be enough to remove all the dust after sanding.

Should I paint the cawlings grey as well because they have grey on the top edges?

Yes if there are the grey painted areas seen for the final effect. But you don't need to apply the colour overall just at the areas it has to be.

BTW pictures posted here of the process would be helpful. So if you can please do that.

Well I've been up all night. I just stripped all the paint. Filled in allot of defects .Btw, omg Tamiya putty is a dream compared to the type of bondo I got lol. And clumsy me. I guess I was getting tired, my left wing and rear wing came loose .Had to reglue.. So now...I'm gonna do my grey strip and wait a few days till my tape comes in. Here's some pics.. I'll post pic with grey strip in a bit .Thx

Attachments

• 15207590147331306116390.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 66
  • 1520759078597135175393.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 72
I also got darker grey

Attachments

• 15207593592481469736384.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 58
OK Now I can see what it looks like. A tip tough..

I noticed you painted the front of the engine cowlings with the grey following the panel line at them. Most people do it just in the way. But it is a mistake. Let me explain why.. Having painted the engine cowling in the way the next step is to mask it to it jusa to the edge right? So the edge of the masking tape is stuck exactly at the same area where the colour ends. Therefore you have two edges there and while applying the next colour you got the third one. As a result you get a kind of a "sandwich" where the second colour ( eg the chrome ) sprayed over the grey +masking tape becomes a kind of a fastening buckle. See the diagram. Can you see? Then if you try to remove the masking tape you cause not only ungluing of the masking tape but also the edge of the grey paint what is just the peeling off. Usually it causes the effect to the second paint too because the masking tape painted with a colour gets hardened what make the peeling off much easier. And this is the reason for waiting for a paint cured fully for a couple of days

Here is a diagram with the proper way for applying of paints ...

Therefore the grey paint should be applied a little bit farther than the panel line as it is marked here with the yellow. In the way you gets a better adhesion of the grey paint because of larger surface painted and the luck of the fastening bucklet at area of the panel line.

Sorry I have omitted the diagram with the proper applying... I attached it to the post above now. . The difference is seen now better . I hope.

Just a question... is there the blue grey paint on the wing tops still not removed or you had to leave it there becuase it was quite difficult to get rid off? Is that the primer?

Also I would like to ask you about your workbench. What is the pleace where you try to paint your model? Is that a garage, a basement or attic?

And one more .. what is the kind of the Tamiya putty you got? Is that in a tube or in a jar? A picture would be nice.

Ohhhhhhhhh .I see! Thanks!
Cool thanks. Ok just did my strip. Going to bed. Lol .Here's pic
Also I would like to ask you about your workbench. What is the pleace where you try to paint your model? Is that a garage, a basement or attic?

LoL .I had this feeling you where gonna ask me that.. Umm far corner of my bedroom. No garage, attic and basement are full of junk .I'll probably clean the attic out and go up there .I don't have much room lol

Attachments

• 1520767007107300804703.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
Good stuff guys. You'll make a master modeller out of the young lady soon Wojtek. I won't add anything....too many cooks....confusion....that sort of thing but one thing I would advice is to ask or show what you are about to do before committing just to avoid problems. These guys can walk you through anything

OK. I have asked about the workbench because being lactaed at these mentioned areas of a home are full of the dust what isn't a good for spraying. Anyway I would like to ask you for some of cleaning around the workbench before you start spraying. It is enough to do dusting with a wet cloth.

Everyone has been absolutely wonderful. I have a long way to go to become an expert. But I know you guys will get me there. This inspired me so much doing these models. Im going to an air show this summer. I wanna see the 2nd only operational b29 DOC " very inspirational story on YouTube about that plane

What about the two other questions..

Just a question... is there the blue grey paint on the wing tops still not removed or you had to leave it there becuase it was quite difficult to get rid off? Is that the primer?

And one more .. what is the kind of the Tamiya putty you got? Is that in a tube or in a jar? A picture would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread