Poll: Best interceptor of Cold War (1950-1970)?

Which is the best interceptor of the Cold War (1950-1970)?

• Convair F-106 Delta Dart

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • McDonnell-Douglas F-4 Phantom

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Lockheed F-104 Starfighter

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-21 "Fishbed"

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-25 "Foxbat"

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • English Electric Lightning

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Dassault Mirage III

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Saab 35 Draken

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sukhoi Su-9 "Fishpot"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sukhoi Su-15 "Flagon"

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Other

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ShVAK

Airman 1st Class
Aug 15, 2012
Which interceptor do you see as the best counter for the strategic bombers of its day?

Vote here!

Same problem as the bombers, but worse. Not one of these planes had even had it's first flight even for several years after 1950, and many years after their first flight before they become operational. Most of these aircraft don't become operational till more than 10 years after 1950.

Same problem as the bombers, but worse. Not one of these planes had even had it's first flight even for several years after 1950, and many years after their first flight before they become operational. Most of these aircraft don't become operational till more than 10 years after 1950.

See bomber thread.

Yes I know, but once we get into mid-70s and 80's we're talking hardware that is largely still being used today. I wanted to see how 50's and 60's designs are evaluated by the folks around here.

Tupolev 128. Flying that thing was like lifting off from earth an entire SAM site (both in size and weight!) but it was unmateched in range, autonomy and radar capabilities. Oh, and it was available in 1961.

It was no dogfighter, but since the OT specified we're considering only the early years of the cold war, the main job for an interceptor had to be chasing bombers, preferably before they dropped their nukes on friendly soil.

Last edited:
MiG-25 for me. Performance, armament, it even had the range provided the big honking engines ere not on afterburner all the time.

Last edited:
MiG-25 for me. Performance, armament, it even had the range provided the big honking engines ere not on afterburner all the time.
It had the range, despite the engines. ;) The Tumanski R15 had a specific fuel consumption of 1.25 kg/kg(T)xh (dry thrust) which was much worse than even a typical late '40s or early 50s engine. Hence why the URSS kept the TU-128 (same Phazotron 'Smerch' radar, btw) flying up in the cold north till the Mig-31 became available in quantities.

Last edited:
I reckon.. the poor bloody Lightning, anybody remember that cold-war era Gerry Anderson sci-fi show 'Stingray', with the drum beat scramble, I read that he got that classic intro from watching RAF scrambles.
limited missile suite notwithstanding, the under-funded Lightning still had the point squirt GO to get right up a Badgers butt quick-smart...

I voted for the Lightning. It was just the plane for the job, short range fast interceptor. I suppose it was the spiritual successor to the Spitfire.
But, I would say that wouldn't I :lol:
Cheers
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back