Possible End of the ww2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next too the old String bag the Dak has always been my best loved aircraft it must have saved hundreds of thousands if not millions of lives in its time,what a credit to the design and build team.
As for HALO(other than in James Bond) I dont know anything about it but I've done a static line jump at 2000 feet and I thought that was a bit on the low side and I believe normal jump height can be under 500 ft (not much point in a reserve) I have also read that on Crete a number of the German Paratroops jumped over undulating ground and their chutes failed to fully deploy before they hit the ground.

I was reading the other day about a kind of jump (not sure what its called) where you go up in a Helicopter and hover over a net at a given altitude. You then Free fall, without a chute, into the net :shock:

MP-Willow said:
C-47s were everywhere. In the CBI they were a big part of the "Hump" misions. I have seen a picture of one with camel mission mrks on it.

That I know, I was just implying that I did not know about picking up special ops in Europe or Asia.

Adler that is fine.

C-46 was made to hold the bigger stuff, just like the C-53 was for troops. But they all were born from the DC-3, what a great bird. The "Hump" claimed a lot of aircrews and planes. I think that was the hardest mission to fly. But that helped to develope the airlift Comand ;)

A bit. The design actually goes back to the 1930s, although it first flew in 1940, if memory serves correctly. The CW-20 was the first pressurized airliner. The Army never flew them pressurized though. Give me a couple of weeks and I will get a full rundown for you. I am working on a presentation on the C-46 for July at the museum. Once I have all the info compile, I can tell you a lot more. I am taking a week off from research as I just gave a presentation over the weekend.

Actually you are right. Now I remember. There is one at the National Air and Space Museum. It is a civilian airliner for Pan Am and it said about how it was the first pressurized airliner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back