Possible 'Mandela' scam?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Airframes

Benevolens Magister
Aug 24, 2008
Cheshire, UK
Does anyone happen to know if there is an internet scam of some kind, involving a 'trust', or some other similar organisation, centred around celebrations for Nelson Mandela's 90th Birthday?
The reason I ask is, I just happened to check my 'old' e-mail address, and found a message from yesterday (Saturday), from this organisation in Johannesburg, informing me I am a winner in their prize 'lottery' or something similar, picked at random from e-mail addresses worldwide.
It looks very suspicious, or a wind-up, to me!
Obviously, I don't want to reply if it is not genuine!!
However, if it IS on the level, then, apparently, I have won $1.8 million, US.
Any info, hints, tips etc would be welcome!
Terry.

SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM!!! If you hit "reply", the very next thing they'll do is ask for your bank account information (usually in very bad Engrish), whereupon, about 20 seconds after giving said information, you'll find you have nothing in the aforementioned bank account. Its the same thing as the "you had a rich Nigerian relative you knew nothing about but who loved you regardless and loved you enough to leave his $45 Bajillion inheritance to you blah blah blah" or the "you just won the European Continent Lottery, which is being run by a teeny bank in Southern Uganda, and they need to know your account info so they can deposit this well-earned winnings into blah blah blah." Its all just the same scam, with different wording.

If there really was that much money and there were that many millionaires in Africa, how come so many are starving...The scary part is that a big percentage of the GNP of Nigeria is scam money!

Besides, how can you win a lottery when you never bought a ticket?

Thanks guys, you've confirmed my thoughts!
Delete button has been well and truly hit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back