Potential Food Supply Shortages (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, I still hunt. Got the guns, and the skills, and the tools needed to process the meat.
But I've never encountered a wild pig in my neck of the wood though. So, no bacon for me then.
Plenty of Deer, Turkeys, Squirrel, Rabbits, etc.

Got enough land for a garden, but I picked up a hatred of hoeing during childhood.
If you're going to garden, better be getting with it, before there's a shortage of seeds.
They were one of the first things to go here (after the toilet paper!)
Thing is, we're coming into winter so its really too late to be planting seeds unless you've got a glasshouse.

Just been shopping in the Phoenix area this week, and now some meat (notably chicken) is limited purchase in most stores.
I've got neighbors looking to sell entire sides of beef, pork, or lamb, your choice, processed, wrapped, and labeled. Now if the electric power was reliable enough to keep the freezers running....
It's thunderstorm season already.
Cheers,
Wes

I've got neighbors looking to sell entire sides of beef, pork, or lamb, your choice, processed, wrapped, and labeled. Now if the electric power was reliable enough to keep the freezers running....
It's thunderstorm season already.
Cheers,
Wes

Any decent quality chest freezer that is in deep freeze will keep food frozen during a normal storm outage up to 24 hours as long as you do not open it.

Want to be safe? Generator...

Any decent quality chest freezer that is in deep freeze will keep food frozen during a normal storm outage up to 24 hours as long as you do not open it.

Want to be safe? Generator...
Out here in the sticks, power outages don't conform to civilized "norms". Keep a tank of water on hand just in case. I don't freeze much stuff. Have to get a permit from power company to have a generator. Line worker safety, you know.
Cheers,
Wes

Out here in the sticks, power outages don't conform to civilized "norms". Keep a tank of water on hand just in case. I don't freeze much stuff. Have to get a permit from power company to have a generator. Line worker safety, you know.
Cheers,
Wes

Where do you live again?

As for water, have you tried getting a commercial grade water filtration system? When we moved to Louisiana a few years, we found out the water supply was contaminated and absolutely sickening. Everything from flesh eating bacteria, to lead, and arsenic were in the water supply. Chlorine at a safe level could not even keep up with it. When they discovered brain eating amoeba in the water supply, they put so much chlorine in the water your eyes and skin burned. Combine that with the risk of Hurricanes, and we bought one. It works great, and you can literally take water out of the swamp and within 30 minutes have fresh drinking water.

And some people do not think safe drinking water is a basic human right...

Last edited:
I hate to say this but I've not seen shortages of anything here (yet) except toilet paper and that's because of easily lead morons buying the stuff up like crazy. Went shopping yesterday and the shelves were stocked pretty well, not like normal but not shortage levels either. Admittedly that could change quickly.

It's a flu, far more contagious I agree, but if you listen to the fear mongers it's the worst thing since the Bubonic Plague of the 1340's (news flash - it isn't), nor is it the 1919 Spanish Influenza, I was led to believe thousands dead per day laying in the streets, with millions a month dead.

I got the sitrep from the EOC this morning, in 59 days our entire county (population ~970,000) has had 37 fatalities. It's looking more and more like an issue of control than pandemic. Just my perspective, not saying it's right or wrong and you're certainly within your rights to disagree with me, but the whole thing is one that makes me go "Hmm...".

The latest grocery visit found the store had little chicken in stock, but we're not terribly worried, as we can always cut meat out for a few meals a week. After that, if we get a craving for animal protein, there are local farms from which we can order meat, even beef, which surprises me because the only cattle raised around here when I was in high school were dairy cows (which did get sold for slaughter and even human consumption when too old to produce). Quite a few farms produce pork, lamb (they're raising the sheep for milk and wool), goat, poultry, and (still surprising to me) beef. All costs quite a bit more than the supermarket supply.

It's a flu, far more contagious I agree, but if you listen to the fear mongers it's the worst thing since the Bubonic Plague of the 1340's (news flash - it isn't), nor is it the 1919 Spanish Influenza, I was led to believe thousands dead per day laying in the streets.
No it isn't, but it could be if too many naysayers and deniers elect not to cooperate. My state (Vermont) has had one of the lowest rates of infection and fatality nationwide, due to our rural nature and dispersed population, as well as a generally broad sense of community and volunteerism, but every day I see enough disbelievers walking around in defiance of best practices to provide a permanent reservoir of infection into the future. In Home Depot today, I had to run away from an obnoxious unkempt fellow with a runny nose, sneeze, and coughing fits and no mask who wanted to talk plumbing with me and kept following me around. I asked store personnel if he could be removed as a health risk, and they said the door minders never should have let him in, but once in, there was nothing they could do. Another leak in the pressure hull. Too many will overwhelm the pumps.
Cheers,
Wes

As for water, have you tried getting a commercial grade water filtration system?
It's not the quality of the water, it's the location - 115 feet underground. No electricity, no well pump. There's a surface well with good water quality, but it dries up half the year. I have a basic filter system, out of an abundance of caution, but it really isn't needed.
Cheers,
Wes

And some people do not think safe drinking water is a basic human right.
Every human being is entitled to as much safe drinking water (and health care, security, privacy, legal protection, food, shelter, etc) AS HE CAN AFFORD TO PAY FOR. The functional definition of our society.
Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.....for those who can pay for it.

Last edited:
It's a flu, far more contagious I agree, but if you listen to the fear mongers it's the worst thing since the Bubonic Plague of the 1340's (news flash - it isn't), nor is it the 1919 Spanish Influenza, I was led to believe thousands dead per day laying in the streets, with millions a month dead.

I got the sitrep from the EOC this morning, in 59 days our entire county (population ~970,000) has had 37 fatalities. It's looking more and more like an issue of control than pandemic. Just my perspective, not saying it's right or wrong and you're certainly within your rights to disagree with me, but the whole thing is one that makes me go "Hmm...".

So, mass graves in New York are a regular occurrence during flu season then?

It's been in use for burying those who can't afford a cemetery - in other words a paupers grave. Not for mass casualty events.
AAaaand... where are these "mass casualty event" graves again?

Allow me to reiterate, it has now been 70 days in my county of ~980,000 with 44 confirmed fatalities, which is about the smallest percentage of deaths from all causes.

Perspective, how many people died in New York during that time of just the "regular flu" or even heart disease? I'm still having a very difficult time buying that this is the Spanish flu type pandemic people are shouting about. You can bitch all you want about that but once the government gets its hooks on things like say, the food supply, they RARELY relinquish it. Once these pricks get draconian powers, God help us.

Was at COSTCO over the weekend, they now limit almost everything you can buy, how long before we stand in line to be given what we "deserve" based on our caste or standing?

All in the name of "science" and "keeping us safe", how easily people give up their freedom for such nebulous goals.

AAaaand... where are these "mass casualty event" graves again?
In Potter's Field on Hart Island in Long Island Sound offshore of the Bronx. Been a paupers burial site since 1869 and contains over a million remains. Has housed victims of yellow fever, "Spanish" flu, tuberculosis, AIDS, 9/11/01, and now Covid 19. Read "The Sniper's Wife" by Archer Mayor for a fictional but fairly accurate description of a visit to the place. Used to fly over it regularly on the low level route from BOS/PVD to LGA or EWR.

Last edited:
So what is Costco supposed to do? Not limit the amount of things, and then only a few get it? That is exactly what will happen. A few people will go in, and buy up all the stuff. If I recall that's why we have a toilet paper shortage. Morons hoarding all of it.

Yep, the paper goods shelves are starting to fill up (long way to go) but the Pork and Chicken sections of the meat area are limited to two each per customer. There are a few bulk packages (several pounds each) for those with freezer space. How many pork chops do you need at one time?

AS far as conspiracy theories go. Look at the theory and figure out who profits, not in abstract terms like power but in actual money. One saying floating around on face book says " those who are selling the panic are also selling the vaccine".....................except right now, there is no vaccine, there aren't even very many testing kits. Anybody think some mysterious group somewhere is orchestrating this whole thing and faking tens of thousands of deaths so they can sell 95 cent masks for a dollar and half? Or that they pre bought several trillion dollars worth of toilet paper to unload later?

If a vaccine shows up in the next month in hundreds of millions of doses I may get very suspicious but right now there is no big money being made and the usual behind the scenes conspiracy suspects like BIG OIL are losing their shirts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back