Pretty Interesting Fact About CSS Alabama and the USS Monitor (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Interesting indeed!

Two hours of close-range naval gunfire finally convinced the Confederates of the futility of wasting shell and powder on the USS Monitor. Lieutenant John Eggleston onboard the CSS Virginia, when asked why his gun crews had stopped firing at the Monitor, stated that "after two hours of incessant firing I find that I can do her [the Monitor] about as much damage by snapping my thumbs at her every two minutes and a half."

After reading this article,my first thought was how things might have changed if the Monitor's crew had doubled the gun powder used. I wonder what effect it would have on the South if the Norths guns could easily penetrate their ironclad's armor. Would they have simply doubled the amount of armor, or would they have changed the design to something more resembling the Monitor's design, which to me looks like it would take far less armor, and would have to be more effective with the turret and double cannon vs. the Alabama's stationary ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back