Primer for resin kits? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

twoeagles

Senior Airman
Oct 18, 2006
Chambersburg
I am going to tackle the Fisher Models Sea Fury soon and I have never faced
painting large expanses of resin, only the small bits and pieces used
for detailing. What is the accepted "best practice" for surface prep of
a resin model prior to hitting it with the air brush? What primer to use?
My thanks in advance!!

I believe it or not am using right now the actual spray primer that we use on our Blackhawk helicopters.

I thought I would give it a try (ive never done this to a model until now) because I wanted to make the Blackhawk model that I am doing as realistic so I went by the Hanger and got some cans of Paint that we used to touch up our Blackhawks when I was in the military and some primer as well and figured I would give it a shot.

Worked very very well and the actual aircraft paint is looking great on the model so far.

Watch out for scale effect! (The paint appears darker, the smaller the surface is to which it is applied.)

Thanks! I have access to Mil Spec paints including A/C black and green and
the primer. Can you tell me what the primer name was? Finish is
everything, and this doggone model cost an arm and a leg so I want
to make sure I do it right...

Glad the real stuff worked on your Blackhawk model - I would worry it was
too 'hot' and could melt plastic, so this is good news.

Very much depends on the paint and resin, always test the paint on the small piece of resin. You can spray a model and ten minutes later end up with a pool of grey matter if you're not careful. I tend to use the Games Workshop spray cans, either black or white, they are water based so won't attack the resin in any way.

Thanks! I have access to Mil Spec paints including A/C black and green and
the primer. Can you tell me what the primer name was? Finish is
everything, and this doggone model cost an arm and a leg so I want
to make sure I do it right...

Glad the real stuff worked on your Blackhawk model - I would worry it was
too 'hot' and could melt plastic, so this is good news.

You know I dont know, I took a look at my cans and the labels are removed so all I have is silver spray cans.

If you want though I can drive up to the hanger next week and ask for a couple of cans with the label on it so that I can tell you.

And you wondered where the taxpayer's money went...

I've even wondered about "liberating" a gallon or two of Army Olive Drab to repaint my wife's (silver - yeaggh!) Skoda Octavia... :lol:

A lot has been made about this subject, tried&true,old schoolers swear by a
sealer coat of shellac, that works ok, but I have no problem with plain old Krylon char grey. If the part is bubbly I'll hose it(Detail permiting.) mush my thumb in it, coarse sand it feather on several more coats, presto bubbles gone, mostly!. Krylon builds up quick and dries fast, nuff said.

Thanks, Joe - I will take your advice into consideration. Since I paint with
Tamiya acrylics, they may work great over acrylic Krylon. The actual
Sea Fury casting is magnificent and I am a little bit daunted by it
because it is so fine...Appreciate everyone's responses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back