Programmes Worth a watch (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oh, I forgot Atentat - black&white from 1967, Czechoslovakia. A movie about Cs. paradroppers from England who dropped in 1941 to kill a German protector in Protektorät Reinhard Heydrich. One of the best war movies ever! I got it on VHS, but only in Czech...

You mean 'Operation Daybreak? Yes, it's fairly accurate account of what happened. (Although the real SOE operation was called Anthropoid)

Have you ever visited the crypt of St Cyril Methodius?

plan_D said:
I'm assuming you calling Pearl Harbour a good movie was sarcasm...

Y'know what? I agree that war movies should perhaps contain 100% less Ben Affleck, and it was a typical Hollywood schmooze fest with the romance and all that, but I still enjoyed that film.
It had some rather well done sequences in it, and with the CGI you almost felt like it was the Pearl Harbor of the early 40's. It wasn't a bad story, really.
Look past the Hollywood mush! :lol:

Trivia:
Spot the Canadian frigate: For just a brief moment during one of the panning views of the harbour, you can see the modern frigate HMCS Regina moored in the harbour. They were visiting during filming, and the editing staff missed it in post production. :lol:
Mind you, it's extremely small in the shot, so maybe they decided to just leave it in, but I still thought it was kinda cool! ;)

Hmmm... Dunno where did you get the name "Operation Daybreak" (did you see it in English? Did it have an English name?)... The film is absolutely 100% historicaly correct (except the underground people). They talk about Anthropoid - Silver "A" "B" in the film as well.
196.jpg

Gabčík - Kubiš
http://www.lib.cas.cz/www/parasut/gabcik.htm
http://www.lib.cas.cz/www/parasut/kubis.htm

Atentat%2002.jpg

Shot from the film

And yes, I've been to the Eastern Church St. Cyril St. Metodej's church. Not to the crypt, which is not normally acessable, but to the building itself. There are still fucking big holes from the bullets!!!
pragnov01.jpg

You should go back mate - the crypt is a now a museum and open to the public. I found it very moving. You can see the start of the tunnel that they tried to dig to get out of the crypt into the sewers to escape.

Both Kubis and Gabcik had families, but I think they knew in their hearts it was going to be a one way trip. If that vile Kurda hadn't betrayed them though, they might have actually got away with it.

As it was, after a fierce gun battle with the Waffen SS in the church itself, the Germans tried to smoke them out with tear gas. When this failed, they forced the Czech fire brigade to push their hoses through the slot to flood the SOE men out. Having run out of ammunition, and with the crypt half full of water, the last surviving members of the unit shot themselves rather than be captured alive.

Here's a link the film I saw. It must be a different one.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075019/

:oops: Really? I wasn't familiar with that... Thanx for the info! I'd go there and post some pics when I have more time...

Hmmm.... seems that we were talking each about another film. I'll make some research about the Atentát film and let you know, eventually I could send it to you if I find it on a VHS with ENG subtitles. ;)

And yeah, the story in that film is as much close as to the reality.
Didn't se tjhe OP. DB, do you know anywhere to get it? :shock:

S!....Pišíš

plan_D said:
Battle of the Bulge is CRAP! Complete dog wank.

Most definetly...

I caught the last ten minutes of it yesterday...

Cool thing about how the captain/lieutenant at the fuel dumps had an Mp40 and the other soldiers had what looked like Moisins...

Also very realistic about how the Germans simply had unchanged M60 tanks, simply with a BalkenKreuz painted on...

Oh, I'm forgetting my favorite part...

IT WAS FILMED IN THE DESERT!!!

I recognised some Pershings in the German mix too, earlier on in the film. There is a bit where they are talking about the Tiger II and he has a model of one, and the model is of a Patton.

GermansRGeniuses said:
plan_D said:
Battle of the Bulge is CRAP! Complete dog wank.

Most definetly...

I caught the last ten minutes of it yesterday...

Cool thing about how the captain/lieutenant at the fuel dumps had an Mp40 and the other soldiers had what looked like Moisins...

Also very realistic about how the Germans simply had unchanged M60 tanks, simply with a BalkenKreuz painted on...

Oh, I'm forgetting my favorite part...

IT WAS FILMED IN THE DESERT!!!

:lol: Sounds like Mad Max 2 had more historical reference to the Battle of the Bulge that that :lol:

Certainly some Hollywood crap.

Just incase ( UK) anyone is interested (as I am). BBC 2 tomorrow (11th Jan) at 9pm...... Auschwitz 'The Final Sploution'. It is about the thousands of people it took to organize and run Auschwitz

Nothing to do with War...... but did anyone watch 'Tribe' the series BBC 2 each Monday 9pm. I went through evey emotion possible watching tonights episode, about the Suri Tribe in Ethiopia on Bruce Parry's journey. Darn interesting stuff. sorry to wonder off there.

One movie coming out soon is "The Great Raid" It had some flying scenes with the world's only airwoty Lockheed Hudson (Imitating a Ventura), and Two mustangs. Set in the Philippines in 1945, "The Great Raid" tells the true story of the 6th Ranger Battalion, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Henry Mucci (Benjamin Bratt) who undertake a daring rescue mission against all odds. Traveling thirty miles behind enemy lines, the 6th Ranger Battalion aims to liberate over 500 American prisoners-of-war from the notorious Cabanatuan Japanese POW camp in the most audacious rescue ever. (That whole bit from "Set in the Philipines" is from the site it self)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back