Prop Blade planform data for Spitfire XIV 5 Blade.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

douvie

Airman
Jan 9, 2013
Victoria
Chaps,

Is there anyone who can help me with some planform data for a Blade? I'm in the process of do a 3D model and would like to keep it as original as possible. I know that the design and form of a blade is similar to a wing planform but with differences in the shape over the length of the blade.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Douvie.8)

Don't ask for much, do you! :) You have three options, Douvie, visit your nearest Spit XIV and measure the thickness of the blade or apply to Dowty for drawings, which will cost you a fortune, or examine photographs and/or drawings and 'wing it'. Good luck. :)

Don't ask for much, do you! :) You have three options, Douvie, visit your nearest Spit XIV and measure the thickness of the blade or apply to Dowty for drawings, which will cost you a fortune, or examine photographs and/or drawings and 'wing it'. Good luck. :)

Thanks nuuumann,

The first is difficult and costly. I don't think they have a XIV here in Oz. I believe they may have a V and a IX.

Are Dowty still around? I thought they sold out. I been trawling the net for weeks and months just trying to find some data. "Winging" it may be to only option but good photographs are quite unclear. Essentially I'll need three good photos of one blade only. One face on, one from the side (90 degrees to the face on), and one from the top downward.

I just don't understand why it is so hard to get. I suppose a FW-190 prop may do in a pinch, or even me109G (BF109G).

Thanks anyway - you did give me something to look at (Dowty).

Douvie:p

Dowty Propellers still exist. Look for G E Aviation based near Gloucester. They don't manufacture the blades for Spitfires anymore.

Steve

This might be a bit of a long shot, but if all else fails, you could try to scale-up from an accurate model kit and draw them. The largest scale with the correct 5 blade prop is the Pacific Coast Models 1/32nd scale MkXIV, or the Revell 1/32nd scale Mk22/24. Alternatively, in 1/48th scale, there are the Airfix Mk22, and the Sea Fires.
Not the best way of going about it, I know, but lacking the proper drawings, it might be a start, and for a '3D model', where there won't actually be a physical blade to closely inspect, and a darned sight more accurate (for the 3D model) than substituting a Fw 190 or '109 prop, both of which have different profiles to the Spit MkXIV.

Here's a scale front view from a set of scale drawings by A.R. Clint but these would not represent the plan form you seek. Might help.

Spitfire XIV Prop Plans A.R.jpg

Well, I must say thanks to all you guys (even the ladies) but you have helped me along somewhat. I may try a scale model version and see if I can come up with something.
By the way, Crimea I like your spitfire pic.

but the door still open for other suggestions

Douvie.

Dowty Propellers still exist. Look for G E Aviation based near Gloucester. They don't manufacture the blades for Spitfires anymore.

Steve

Steve,

Would they share the data? I have been able to determine the prop type.

ROTOL R19/5F5/1 with HOFFMAN blades type 6000 14789.

They were constructed of either wood or magnesium.

thanks for the info anyway.

Douvie

This might be a bit of a long shot, but if all else fails, you could try to scale-up from an accurate model kit and draw them. The largest scale with the correct 5 blade prop is the Pacific Coast Models 1/32nd scale MkXIV, or the Revell 1/32nd scale Mk22/24. Alternatively, in 1/48th scale, there are the Airfix Mk22, and the Sea Fires.
Not the best way of going about it, I know, but lacking the proper drawings, it might be a start, and for a '3D model', where there won't actually be a physical blade to closely inspect, and a darned sight more accurate (for the 3D model) than substituting a Fw 190 or '109 prop, both of which have different profiles to the Spit MkXIV.

Airframes, that's not a bad idea. I'll give it a shot - maybe drop in at the model shop in Melbourne CBD when I get back to work next week.

thanks
Douvie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back