PT boats and Destroyers of WWII?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

HMS Lochy, River class frigate
Lochy-river-class-595x362.jpg

Steam Gun Boat, MGB S309, under the command of Lieutenant Commander Peter Scott underway in the channel. S.309 was also known as 'Grey Goose'
Grey-Goose-595x482.jpg

I thought that you might be interested in the following from my uncle's memoirs

< I was in the Steam Gunboat (SGB) for twelve months, during which time we were engaged in a couple of skirmishes across the Channel, but the most exciting time was the day of the landing at Dieppe in August 1942.
The SGB's in our flotilla were later given names like "Grey Goose", etc, but when I joined they only had numbers; we were 303 and our captain was the flotilla leader.
Unfortunately, just prior to the landing, our ship was having engine trouble but our captain did not want us to miss any of the action, so about a dozen of us and all the officers joined another SGB, double banking the crew. The CO of this SGB was Peter Scott, the naturalist. >

The SGBs ended up being fairly useful despite their being very vulnerable to gunfire. What I found interesting is that one, SGB9(Grey Goose) of may be still afloat, as a houseboat near Hoo St Werburgh (although that datum is from wikipedia, so I'm taking it was a few grains of salt)

SGB9 is now called Ansevera and is indeed berthed at Hoo. She is very much still afloat

I thought that you might be interested in the following from my uncle's memoirs

< I was in the Steam Gunboat (SGB) for twelve months, during which time we were engaged in a couple of skirmishes across the Channel, but the most exciting time was the day of the landing at Dieppe in August 1942.
The SGB's in our flotilla were later given names like "Grey Goose", etc, but when I joined they only had numbers; we were 303 and our captain was the flotilla leader.
Unfortunately, just prior to the landing, our ship was having engine trouble but our captain did not want us to miss any of the action, so about a dozen of us and all the officers joined another SGB, double banking the crew. The CO of this SGB was Peter Scott, the naturalist. >

My dad was an anti aircraft gunner on SGB9 Grey Goose under the command of Peter Scott. He was part of the crew that went on the Dieppe raid too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back