PV-1 Ventura Nose Art, Star and Scroll

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Barf

Airman
Jan 7, 2009
West Melton, Christchurch
I am looking for information on PV1 Ventura nose art. It appears on many PV1's, RNZAF operated aircraft included, and could be "factory' applied. It looks like a Gold coloured Star set upon two wings and often includes a gold Scroll aft.
See attached pic. Does anyone have a close up ?
PV1 Nose Art.jpg

The shot doesn't present the RNZAF Ventura. It is a plane of the US.Navy Patrol Bombing Squadron VPB-127. The emblem located in the middle is the Lockheed company logo.

The shot doesn't present the RNZAF Ventura. It is a plane of the US.Navy Patrol Bombing Squadron VPB-127. The emblem located in the middle is the Lockheed company logo.
I guessed the Star would be some form of Lockheed logo however, its does not appear to be the common Lockheed logo with an angled Star combined with a single wing. I can not find any close-up or clear representation of this one anywhere, nor the scroll. Many RNZAF PV-1's carried both of these in identical positions, I just used this USN photo as it is the clearest I have found thus far .

Last edited:
Perhaps the kind of the Lockheed logo could be used for the Venturas just by the factory assembling them only.

Confirms many things even though it lacks the fine detail. I wonder if records were kept of who's names went on what aircraft?
Somebody added a photo to your question @ WIE-forum - the quality is better, please repost.
And here are my 2c: all these a/cs were called FIGHTING MEMORIALS. The one from WIE-forum is dedicated to Robert Fenn Cole KIA in CBI. I found the original photo with high resolution in the Fold3 collection.
0FYAA0r.jpg

Resurgam in Latin means "I shall rise again".
Cheers!

Last edited:
Good job. I knew I had seen it before. I have seen a color image of an aircraft being delivered with this logo and scroll... No luck finding it in my archives. Both my grandparents worked for Lockheed on the P-38 assembly line in Long Beach, CA. during the war. My mother still has a charm bracelet with a little P-38 on it that her mother got while working there...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back