Question about B-24D "Bond Tour"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SANCER

Senior Master Sergeant
Aug 21, 2014
México City
Hello everyone.

I find myself in the final stretch in building my B-24D, 1/48, Revell. (You can visit the thread in S. to F. ...:magnifyglass:)

It has been a process with enough information, images and tips from many of you and what I have learned about this huge bomber has been very motivating to do my best and continue to know military aviation in WWII.

The version I am doing is: " The Squaw "

- Consolidated B-24D-20-CO, 98th Bomber Group, 343th Bomber Squadron; Brindisi, Italien; Auf "Bond Tour" in den USA, Winter 1943 -

Some images ...

A.jpg
C.jpg
E.jpg

The question that arose to me is related to the marks that have as a sample of the impacts received during their missions and journeys in service.

D.jpg

F.jpg

... and that includes in the decals the kit.

547.jpg
548.1.jpg
550.jpg

What do the different colors of those marks mean? I can see in three colors, light blue, white and brown.

B.jpg

Thanking you in advance for your interest and support, I send you a warm greeting from the Land of Tequila :thumbup:

Luis Carlos
SANCER

I found this info:

If anyone is interested, those "patches" of colour on the fuselage
are in fact two things;

white patches ...are little cartoon "explosions" (for want of a better term)
with arrow like pointers coming in from different angles.
...the patches are placed over Flak damaged areas.

and
green or sand
coloured patches...these patches are repairs over bullet holes, and they are basically painted over.

I found it in a thread here, Rare & Unusual Paint Schemes Series 3 - B-24 Liberator! from Dave Winfield - Page 8 - PaperModelers.com but don't know if the source is either reputable or reliable but that seems to be what those various patches are.

If no one has an answer soon. I'll start looking when I get off work

Thanks Geo, it will be interesting to find the meaning of each color.
Thank you as always for your time.

I found this info:

If anyone is interested, those "patches" of colour on the fuselage
are in fact two things;

white patches ...are little cartoon "explosions" (for want of a better term)
with arrow like pointers coming in from different angles.
...the patches are placed over Flak damaged areas.

and
green or sand coloured patches...these patches are repairs over bullet holes, and they are basically painted over.

I found it in a thread here, Rare & Unusual Paint Schemes Series 3 - B-24 Liberator! from Dave Winfield - Page 8 - PaperModelers.com but don't know if the source is either reputable or reliable but that seems to be what those various patches are.

It's a breakthrough and they can be comments with some of the truth, Robert, thanks also for your support.

I can not find the correct translation of the word "Flak", do you have any other way of describing it?
(My English is in the continuous process of growth.)

Greetings to both :thumbup::thumbup:

It's not unusual for battle damaged aircraft to be displayed with their "combat mementoes" prominently marked. I remember seeing at airshows an F-4B with a tiny PRVN insignia painted on each flak patch, and a C-123 with 1017 little numbered circles over bullet hole repairs and nose art of a ragamuffin doll with the name "Patches". "Patches" was still operational at the time with an AF reserve outfit, and with "two churning and two burning" was bar none the LOUDEST airplane I've ever heard! (Twice as loud as the P-2 Neptune, which had a similar engine combination.) It covered the entire spectrum at an excruciating level, a "wall of sound" that would have made Phil Spector proud!
Cheers,
Wes
BTW: I see that "Patches" is now at the AF Museum.

Last edited:
It's not unusual for battle damaged aircraft to be displayed with their "combat mementoes" prominently marked. I remember seeing at airshows an F-4B with a tiny PRVN insignia painted on each flak patch, and a C-123 with 1017 little numbered circles over bullet hole repairs and nose art of a ragamuffin doll with the name "Patches". "Patches" was still operational at the time with an AF reserve outfit, and with "two churning and two burning" was bar none the LOUDEST airplane I've ever heard! (Twice as loud as the P-2 Neptune, which had a similar engine combination.) It covered the entire spectrum at an excruciating level, a "wall of sound" that would have made Phil Spector proud!
Cheers,
Wes
BTW: I see that "Patches" is now at the AF Museum.

It's in interesting comment Wes :salute:, I've also seen some planes with those marks.
"Si esas marcas contaran su historia"

Returning to the original question, it would only be interesting to know if the color coding to identify those "battle tracks" is normal and the type of shrapnel received can be identified.

Luis Carlos

Users who are viewing this thread

Back