Question about the PBY

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Elleree

Recruit
Nov 7, 2006
My grandfather served in WWII and I swore to write a book about his experiences before he died. I have many of his stories but I need some help. He was in the Navy, a radioman and tailgunner on a PBY. He only ever referred to the plane as a PBY, not Consolidated PBY or PBY Catalina, can anyone tell me what different kinds there are? I'm sorry to bother you :oops:

No bother, it all the same thing. PBY was the navy designation, Consolidated built the plane, Catalina was its "given" name. The Catalina was also built in Canada and called the Canso. It all depended what her crew wanted to call her.

Your grandfather was a "VP Sailor." I was one as well - many years later, we're a close family with a long tradition. I salute your grandfather! :salute:

Thank you for the answer! I thought they were all the same plane but I wanted to make sure. :)

Yes, Pappaw was in a patrol squad. His crew scouted for Japanese snipers around Pelilou, where they were stationed. (Sometimes they found the snipers 0_o) That's really cool that you were a VP sailor yourself. For your kindness in answering me and saluting my grandfather, I must salute you as well, sir. :salute:
:)

P = patrol, B = amphibious Y = Consolidated Aircraft

Flyboy, correct me if I am wrong about the "B" part.

Thank you for the answer! I thought they were all the same plane but I wanted to make sure. :)

Yes, Pappaw was in a patrol squad. His crew scouted for Japanese snipers around Pelilou, where they were stationed. (Sometimes they found the snipers 0_o) That's really cool that you were a VP sailor yourself. For your kindness in answering me and saluting my grandfather, I must salute you as well, sir. :salute:
:)

Thank You!

P = patrol, B = amphibious Y = Consolidated Aircraft

Flyboy, correct me if I am wrong about the "B" part.

B= Bomber

I don't remember the PBY having a tailgunner. Any information?

Probably a "blister" gunner.

There was a trap door in the rear belly with a MG mount, back in the tunnel aft of where the "boat" hull stops. There are several good PBY Catalina Sites on the web. I know, I've been researching them myself for doing illustrations.
Chris
Images and Illustrations at
http://www.printroom.com/pro/ShepArtStudio

Attachments

• StalkingCat-333sm.jpg
    StalkingCat-333sm.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 141
I don't remember the PBY having a tailgunner. Any information?

The PBY-6A that I've been in had 3x .30 (1 each blister, 1 in the nose turret) and 1x .50 (in the tail "tunnel" gun). The staff at the museum said that the tunnel gun was usually removed, since it had a very limited feild of fire and was hard to get to and aim properly. The open hatch visible on the underside of the tail shown below is where it would have been.

pbypaintpeel.JPGsmall.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back