Question about VF-86 Hellcat markings (Wasp)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JimM

Airman
Nov 1, 2007
Greetings,

I posted a thread a few years ago, and a few members here were a big help.
I may need to talk to a living VF-86 pilot - can anyone help here?

I need to know first of all of the "Wild Hares" logo was painted on the plane anywhere.
Also, did the VF-86 Hellcats (F6F-5?) have the small window in the fuselage behind the canopy.

Also general markings, letters, warnings, etc on the left side of the aircraft would be helpful.

My wife's grandfather, Earl T. Morton flew with VF-86, and I'm working on an illustration of his Hellcat for the family.
I'm finally getting to work on it. I'm doing the aircraft in 3D, and a good ways into the modeling process.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers
Jim

As far as the 86th goes I don't know but.. I read somewhere in the past that the first batch (or so) of -5's had the rear window. It was deleted shortly after production shifted over.

VF-86 markings thread is here.
http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/aviation/need-information-cag-86-vf-86-hellcat-markings-10167.html

Photos show F6Fs with without squadron insignia. Looks like the particular photo showing the squadron insignia was taken after the 28 July 45 change from geometric carrier identifiers to letter identifiers, thus shows the Wasp "X" on both the starboard wing tip and the vertical stabilizer. I would wonder if this particular photo is not only post 28 July 45, but perhaps also post 15 Aug 45 when one might not be worried about obscure operational security fetishes.

Rich

Thanks peeps
Rich I sent you a PM

I'm looking for someone who has the CAG 86 Tour Book and can give me the exact title of the book, as well a the page that Earl T. Morton appears on.
This so I can have the publisher send me the photo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back