Question ?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ellis995

Staff Sergeant
Mar 15, 2009
Easington Lane UK
Hi guy's

Thinking of buying these if there are of use for models:oops:

Contains 12 acrylic paints, 12 watercolour paints, 12 watercolour tablets, 12 soft pastels, 12 oil pastels, 10 watercolour pencils, 5 brushes, 3 painting boards, 1 metal sharpener, 1 putty easel, 1 mixing palette and painting instructions.
I know some are not any good, but some ?
art.jpg

The soft pastels, if of the 'chalk' type might be useful, and the brushes, if of good enough quality and gauge. The rest is debateable, and, seeing it all appears to be in a wooden case, it could be costly in relation to its usefulness in modelling.
It looks like it's designed as a beginner's 'starter pack' to the various styles of art - probably a reasonable thing as a gift for someone starting out, but might be overpriced in relation to the individual items, especially if the materials are an unknown make and quality.

By no means am I an expert but for me the only thing that I see that could be useful would be the pastels and the brushes. Personally I haven't even tried Pastels yet but I know people use them. For me other than the normal enamels I use oil paint for for weathering.

I wanted to make sure I was right before I posted.

I am with Terry, although being a young modeller I don't know how many of those colors can be of use to you. That looks like more of a painters (not a model painter) type of set.

I tried it and the pastels work great, and even the colored pencils came in handy at times.

I had no luck with the acrylic or oil paint in the tubes from it. Even tried thinning it down and it just did not act right for whatever reason (and it just could have been me). I was able to make some washes out of it though.

Either way, good luck!

Forget it Keith. It's a reasonable price for an artist starting out, but the only real advantage (to you) are the pastels, and you can get a set at somewhere like Partners, or Ryman's as they are now, for around £4. Brushes you can get from a model shop, or better, an art shop, at an average of £1:50 each for a good quality brush, a bit more for a Number 3 or larger Sable brush. I reckon £20 would buy a decent kit or a few tins of paint mate!

You only need a couple of oil paints in tubes for adding shadows and stains, lamp black and burnt sienna. The rest you probably would never use. Pastels maybe usefull. Keep your eye on Aldi and Lidl they have regular offers on "artist" material, although,like Airframes says the quality will be poor. My wife paints oils and watercolours and she won't touch these!

Have a look at White Ensign Paints. I really like them. Authentic enamel colours and a good mail order service.

FlexiBull

PS And get a decent silver pencil to add those paint flakes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back