RAAF Marking's and Codes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Another manual I have just received in what it politely called a distressed condition. None the less I will not remove the staples and will try and keep it no worse than when I received it.
The file below was created using my rusty Canon G11, cropped with Irfanview and printed with Adobe Acrobat
I do not have any idea of the actual date on this but it was with some other docs from 1942-48 so am guessing circa 1945

View attachment Synopsis of Aircraft Finishes Sundry Paint Products for RAAF [BALM] circa 1945.pdf

hi guys, just one for you, Vultee Vengeance, in correct colours, RAF Dk Green over Dk Earth with Sky Blue lower surface, whilst researching theses profile i was given good evidence that Foliage Green and Earth Brown were not used, but i am always open to new info.
220.jpg

This is from "RAAF External Colour Schemes for Aircraft" The date on the preceding page is Mar. '41

Thanks for posting that. Very interesting. This is a little of the topic but when I rate a post informative(as I did your post here), agree, like, or whatever on my phone at least the whole rating bar disappears and the rating doesn't get recorded.
Im just trying to figure out if theres a problem with the site or if its something with my smartphone. So I'm curious,
did the informative rating from me for your post show up on your end?

It did show up but there is a glitch in the system. I informed a Mod a few hours ago and we'll have to wait until Horse shows up
Ok thanks. I figured that was probably the case since when I tried rating a few posts on my laptop it did the same thing.

While the RAAF instructions for Foliage Green/Earth Brown over Sky Blue was the official scheme , aircraft delivered from overseas were not repainted, as it was a waste to repaint a new aircraft, so aircraft like Beaufighter's, Boston's and Vengeances which arrived in 1942 were operated in the schemes they came in usually Dark Green/Dark Earth over Sky or Sky Grey , aircraft manufactured in Australia were in the official scheme but it wasn't that common on imports.
Even later in the war aircraft like A-20C that came in Sept/Oct 43 despite being in rough condition they were needed so badly that they stayed in the rough Olive Drab over Neutral Grey they were delivered in and only had servicing and mods done before issue to the operational Sqn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back