RAAF Marking's and Codes

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

yesterday i was stuck all day in the attic looking at the books and found two important things inside coskpit l A-20g and the books of kookaburra technikal productions "RAAF camouflage and markings 1939-1945 vol,1 and 2

16797c7d.jpg

7ff10ba9.jpg

sorry that's what I get for typing it late, a P51c 3rd squadron to be more specific

Last edited:
Here are a few I have on the computer. I have more in books but don't have a scanner. If you want more, I can try and take some photos from the books if you like.

Attachments

• 3sqnRAAF5.jpg
    3sqnRAAF5.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 318
  • 3sqnRAAF6.jpg
    3sqnRAAF6.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 244
  • 3sqnRAAF8.jpg
    3sqnRAAF8.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 244
  • 3sqnRAAF9.jpg
    3sqnRAAF9.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 285
If you would mind sending me some pictures and what book they are coming out of so I can try and find those books here in the US. I am starting a mk.iii r/c model this winter and I was trying to find something that is not overdone. Most people model the D/Mk.IV model so it would be a great subject to do.

I can send you a pm with my email, but your inbox is full.

Where can you see the white band? If you mean the one at the tail, it is the quick ID one of Sky S-type rather. There can be a part of the serial of the Mustang III seen... KH616.

Last edited:
Good one A4K
One thing I must add
Some "reference" books such a Pentland's claim the white markings were offset with a 1" red stripe and he even had at least one black and white photo to "prove" this.
In the early 70's I went to several PNG wreck sites and what I found was that the "red" stripe was actually where the 1" masking tape had been laid and the painting had been done with no other masking used. This left the area behind the tape covered in white overspray and thus, on a black and white photo, produced the illusion that a coloured separator stripe had been used

Good one A4K
One thing I must add
Some "reference" books such a Pentland's claim the white markings were offset with a 1" red stripe and he even had at least one black and white photo to "prove" this.
In the early 70's I went to several PNG wreck sites and what I found was that the "red" stripe was actually where the 1" masking tape had been laid and the painting had been done with no other masking used. This left the area behind the tape covered in white overspray and thus, on a black and white photo, produced the illusion that a coloured separator stripe had been used

Had same issue with RNZAF P 40's in the SW Pacific theatre, who wore the White ID stripes.

As a result of this type of belief, ended up with some decals/kit manufacturers having "White" stripes with red borders in their kits

Regards

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back