RAAF Marking's and Codes (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Fantastic stuff guys!! Thanks for the posts.

Interesting the green (and in one case blue) tops to the fins of some of those 4 squadron aircraft.

I believe they identified the different flights in the squadron. Can also be seen on some P40's.
Here's another profile of a 4 sqn bird, and a pic I took at the RAAF Museum showing an 85 sqn Boomer.

Attachments

• 4sqnRAAF6.bmp
    380.1 KB · Views: 782
  • IMG_0374.JPG
    IMG_0374.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 691
Yep, from me too, mate! And for the info too.

Interesting to see the straight exhaust as opposed to the 'hedgehog' type I'm more used to...detail difference between the production batches?

BTW, Airfix do markings for QE-A 'Phooey' with their 1/72 Boomerang (aswell as BF-S 'Sinbad II')

Interesting to see the straight exhaust as opposed to the 'hedgehog' type I'm more used to...detail difference between the production batches?

Bang on Evan, there were 4 marks of Boomerangs produced, being the CA-12, CA-13, CA-19 and a single CA-14. The CA-13 was changed to the hedgehog style exhaust due to the straight exhaust on the CA-12's being prone to cracking.

starts to solve part of problem in id of aircraft exellent work

Found this document in the book RAAF markings 1939-45 part II by George Pentland that I thought a few of our Australian members might like.

Enjoy
raf.JPG

Last edited:
Hi

On the subject of Tac/R Boomers

Earlier in 1943, there were moves to have 4 Sqn equipped with P-40Es, but that was cancelled. Following the Tac/R use of Wirraways and Boomerangs for nearly 18 months from this initial consideration, it was felt that there was still a need for a faster tactical reconnaissance aircraft. It was felt that, given the greater numbers of P-40s available, that some could be modified to that role in SWPac.

Prior to this, during April 1944, there was a belly tank K.17/F.24 camera installation proposed for the Boomerang Fighter.

Reports back from the CO of 4 Sqn, Sqn Ldr C W Munro were encouraging on a local modification made to one of the unit's aircraft (A46-118 ) and a surplus belly tank.

By July 1944, the proposal resulted in two aircraft being modified to accept this Belly tank installation. One further 4 Sqn Boomerang, A46-183, was modified for Tac/R trials.

The eventual trials resulted in the project being cancelled and the aircraft modification disapproved. A third Boomerang, A46-213 in Australia, was modified with only a single F.24 camera and prism aperture. This was a trial fuselage installation of a vertical F.24 camera with a prism aperture below the fuselage.
The performance results of this modification were encouraging; however space limitations in the fuselage would cause the demise of the project.

These details are extracted from National Archive Files in Canberra.

Towards the end of 1944, several alternative proposals were put forward that eventually gave rise to yet another proposal.

Given that there were RAF Tac/R Tomahawks for nearly two years and more recently, 5thAAF P-40N-6's (converted P-40N-5s with oblique cameras) used by the USAAF, consideration was given to modify the P-40N for our own RAAF Tac/R requirements.

Authority was given on the 2nd March 1945 to install a single F-24 Camera under Kittyhawk Order #50.The total of sixty, to be modified, were enough for equipping two squadrons (No4 and 5 TacR Sqns) with enough reserves to cover attrition, maintenance etc.
An initial six aircraft were to be modified, with three aircraft a month to be converted thereafter.

A recently erected P-40N-40 aircraft was chosen to be the prototype aircraft for the installation of one F.24 camera between station nine and ten.

This location would allow for easier access to the camera for film retrieval through the existing portside fuselage radio hatch. A29-1150 (ex 44-47900) was allocated to 1AD for the trial installation of the F.24 Camera on 15th March 1945.

Meanwhile both 4 and 5 Sqns did get a limited number of war weary P-40Ns to use as conversion trainers

4Sqn (AC) had P-40Ns allocated ex 14 RSU on the 20th July 1945 and received A29-417, A29-451, A29-607 and A29-656 in August 1945 in theatre

One of these, A29-607 flown by F/Lt K H Stanfield, crash landed at Labuan Strip on the 24th August 1945. This aircraft was previously BU-G of 80F Sqn, the personal aircraft of Sqn Ldr John Waddy.

For 5 Squadron (AC), the first four Kittyhawks P-40N-1s, for training conversion, arrived at Bougainville, on the 9th of September 1945. They were A29-403, A29-412, A29-480 and A29-495 from 13ARD.

For the next few months, the unit would operate three types, Wirraway, Boomerang and Kittyhawk aircraft, pending arrival of their new P-40N-35/40 Tac/Rs.
Three of these aircraft, except A29-495, would be disposed of and burned in accordance with the Lend-lease agreement in February 1946, never returning to Australia.

But alas, this is outside the scope of this thread, and is the story post Boomer.

Best
Gordy

Alright, I have one for the RAAF markings and schemas experts. Since I have photographed and posted photos of the Mustang IV, I have had a number of questions from folks on the accuracy of the scheme and the roundels. I know the fuselage code is actually the initials of the aircraft owner, which is perfectly fine with me. He owns it! But is the camo pattern and national marking scheme accurate for a Mustang IV. I have heard it was an MTO theme.

Attachments

• DSC_1924.jpg
    DSC_1924.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 574
I have seen some pics of these mustangs with the way painted rudderes and it seems these were of RAF ETO camo pattern or silver (bare metal).I don't remember exactly.What is more these yellow stripes on wing edges seem to be too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back