Racisim (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

In another forum I frequent there is a fella that is VERY anti-Jewish and denigrates blacks at every opportunity. Of course, he denies that he is racist or bigoted................

As above it's a tricky one.

Firmly believe you should try to integrate when you immigrate but when you see Brits living in spain or france and not speaking the lingo / mixing you realise it's not just immigrants but emmigrants that struggle with this too.

I agree If one thing that annoys me it's people who go to another country then running it down with the classic " back home they woudnt do this that or the other"
Australia seems to be full of ex pats on about the mother country, they should sod off back to the mother country.
When I go to other countries I respect their laws way of life ect.
If I was'nt prepared to do this I wouldn't go in the first place.

I love the diversity of different cultures no harm in retaining your traditions but once you sign on the dotted line the country you choose is your home and it's very wrong to try and turn it into a little outpost of where you came from.
If I emmigrated to say the Canada (and before you all say it I know they would not want an old twit like me even if I wanted to go) then my loyalty would be there 100% no if's but's or and's my past would be just that the past.

If I was out late and a group of black kids was coming down the street, I would cross the road to avoid them. On the same track, if a group of white kids was coming towards me, I would avoid them too...

Most of Racism is fear of the unknown. And when you sit right down and think about that, it is completely rational and primal too - we have always survived in the past by being wary and suspicious of the unknown...

On the flip side, treating someone badly on the trivial basis that their skin is a different colour is ludicrous! It makes no more sense than picking on people who have green eyes...

The two closest people two me in this office are Black. And there is the terminology that makes the whole thing fall down - Neither of them is actually black in colour, nobody is, the same way that nobody is white. The girl (Half Jamaican/Half Guyanese) is a lovely coffee-with-milk colour, light brown is NOT black. The guy (Bangladeshi) is slightly darker, but again a long way from black.

This is what I have trouble with, because I know if I took a 2 month holiday in say, Australia, I would be damn close in colour to both of them - Would I then be 'Black' and why should I be 'White' now? I would say that I am 'pink' or 'beige' as the only really white people are Albinos...

The more you think about it, the more ridiculous it seems...

And the more I think about Halle Berry, the better an 'International Mix Pot Colour' seems - White is too pale, Black is too dark, let everyone be Light Brown! :p :D

I know if I took a 2 month holiday in say, Australia, I would be damn close in colour to both of them

Clave, If your two month holiday was in central Australia, you would discover that the 'true' Aboriginal is as black as the ace of spades.

I don't hate any race; I just hate races that come over to my country and try to dictate my culture.

By the way, the whole slavery apologies should be spit upon. This is for my American friends, do any of you know the real reason the United States Navy was created?

Sure many of you will have seen that film 'USMC medics in Vietnam' where they're treating battlefield injuries - the one with the bullethead/eyeball moment!! :shock:

Anyway in that they're salving a black us soldier who's been caught with napalm The black, top skin layer is coming away and it's only microns thick.

That struck me at the time (and since) as important - the colour difference is a matter of an ounce or two of the top most layer of skin ie it's the thin end of b*****r-all.

There's much more physical difference between those with long hair and those with short.

I don't hate any race; I just hate races that come over to my country and try to dictate my culture.

By the way, the whole slavery apologies should be spit upon. This is for my American friends, do any of you know the real reason the United States Navy was created?

What is this "real" reason? Although the USN traces its roots back to the Continental Navy, the US Constitution gave Congress the power to provide and maintain a navy. Several years later six frigates were built. Original missions included protection of the merchant fleet, and conflicts were had with the French and notably the Barbary pirate problem - which culminated in the Barbary War and the US Marines heading off "to the shores of Tripoli."

If I was out late and a group of black kids was coming down the street, I would cross the road to avoid them. On the same track, if a group of white kids was coming towards me, I would avoid them too...

Most of Racism is fear of the unknown. And when you sit right down and think about that, it is completely rational and primal too - we have always survived in the past by being wary and suspicious of the unknown...

On the flip side, treating someone badly on the trivial basis that their skin is a different colour is ludicrous! It makes no more sense than picking on people who have green eyes...

The two closest people two me in this office are Black. And there is the terminology that makes the whole thing fall down - Neither of them is actually black in colour, nobody is, the same way that nobody is white. The girl (Half Jamaican/Half Guyanese) is a lovely coffee-with-milk colour, light brown is NOT black. The guy (Bangladeshi) is slightly darker, but again a long way from black.

This is what I have trouble with, because I know if I took a 2 month holiday in say, Australia, I would be damn close in colour to both of them - Would I then be 'Black' and why should I be 'White' now? I would say that I am 'pink' or 'beige' as the only really white people are Albinos...

The more you think about it, the more ridiculous it seems...

And the more I think about Halle Berry, the better an 'International Mix Pot Colour' seems - White is too pale, Black is too dark, let everyone be Light Brown! :p :D

Clave - in your example above (fear of the unkown), that ties more into prejudice, not racism. All human beings are prejudiced, and it's perfectly natural. Prejudice is simply a preconceived opinion, whether favorable or unfavorable. Without any knowledge or facts to go on, all one has is their prejudice, which is often heavily influenced by personal experience. In the past several decades the word "prejudice" has been transformed into a hostile and negative word - and is often never used in the favorable sense. It also has been tied almost exclusively to race, and the word is often substituted for "racism."

I don't see why you have a problem with the terms white, black, yellow, etc. It's just a long established method not of actually describing skin color tone, but of labeling the part of the world that genetic roots trace back to.

Sure many of you will have seen that film 'USMC medics in Vietnam' where they're treating battlefield injuries - the one with the bullethead/eyeball moment!! :shock:

Anyway in that they're salving a black us soldier who's been caught with napalm The black, top skin layer is coming away and it's only microns thick.

That struck me at the time (and since) as important - the colour difference is a matter of an ounce or two of the top most layer of skin ie it's the thin end of b*****r-all.

There's much more physical difference between those with long hair and those with short.

Just to clarify - USMC "medics" are actually USN corpsmen. Who made this film anyway?

No idea mate - it was long time ago. AFAIK it was a USMC (USN) training film.

I'm sure you're right on the details - not entirely sure I've got the title right.

They used to show it in the British Army to see who'd throw up - sure the ex-squaddies on here will remember it

"the US Constitution gave Congress the power to provide and maintain a navy. Several years later six frigates were built. Original missions included protection of the merchant fleet, and conflicts were had with the French and notably the Barbary pirate problem - which culminated in the Barbary War and the US Marines heading off "to the shores of Tripoli."

The Barbary pirates were the exact reason; the Barbary pirates and their slave trade. The European powers had been fighting off the North African shores for a long time trying to stop that particular slave trade which centered around European merchants. The USN was created to aid in this fight. And where's our apology for that, exactly?

England had to buy back many English merchants from the slave trade at an inflated price - I believe it was around £40 during the 17th Century.

In short; bollocks to apologising for slavery.

I agree If one thing that annoys me it's people who go to another country then running it down with the classic " back home they woudnt do this that or the other"
Australia seems to be full of ex pats on about the mother country, they should sod off back to the mother country.
When I go to other countries I respect their laws way of life ect.
If I was'nt prepared to do this I wouldn't go in the first place.

I love the diversity of different cultures no harm in retaining your traditions but once you sign on the dotted line the country you choose is your home and it's very wrong to try and turn it into a little outpost of where you came from.
If I emmigrated to say the Canada (and before you all say it I know they would not want an old twit like me even if I wanted to go) then my loyalty would be there 100% no if's but's or and's my past would be just that the past.

I agree with you and unfortunatly I see it every day here in Germany because I work in a military community.

Hmm you discussion pleases aussie....
I think that people should get off the whole slavery issue, everyone did it at the time because there was profit, it's in the past and in fact the U.S put a ban on more slaves coming into the country in the early 1800's at about the same time that Englands Parliment outlawed slavery.....

I flew an Italian flag and wear Italian pins still cebrating the world cup win.
You get a few smart remarks, but oh well.

If the Aussies dont like it tough. lol

I flew an Italian flag and wear Italian pins still cebrating the world cup win.
You get a few smart remarks, but oh well.

If the Aussies dont like it tough. lol

That's not racism!
If you don't consider yourself an 'Aussie'..then what are you?

Aussie who is proud of his Euro roots.

Not too proud of our flag though?

You from another thread...

It was a great idea to ban the flag i thought.
Its a flag, supposed to be a respected symbol, not something to be used by drunken bogans to threaten people.

I have been threatened because i wear Italy pins celebrating the world cup win.
Plus i hate the Union Jack part lol

Change the Farken flag !! _________

'Nearly' twenty million Australians were barracking for the Soccerroos that fateful night. The first time for a chance at the cup since 1974. But then as an Aussie you would've already known this.

Shoving an Italian flag in the faces of Soccerroo supporters after they had been ousted under dubious circumstances to a bunch of, what the media called "divers", and you wonder why you didn't receive a 'congratulatory' response?

Then you're a "Farken" idiot.

And you need to watch this, again and again and again…

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcCw9RHI5mc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back