Racisim

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Aussie1001

Staff Sergeant
Jul 13, 2007
Queensland- Australia
Jese i don't even know if i have spelt this right but what the hell... You know what it is anyway.
What do you think about it... Does it play a big part of our society and are blacks right in calling some of us racist because of political decisions....
Discuss.....
(no offense intended to any coloured or black persons who view this)

The race card is often thrown out by minority groups in the US. Currently, the immigration issue is exploding with Latin American groups tossing it out. It's a powerful political weapon - as the mere notion of being "racist" is a major taboo in modern US culture.

What is lacking is an actual understanding of what the term "racism" means. Here's a textbook definition of the term.

rac·ism /ˈreɪsɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rey-siz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

Note there's nothing in there about NOT WANTING YOUR CULTURE AND WAY OF LIFE TO CHANGE! People misuse the word racism because it is such a loaded word.

It's one of those hot buttons in US society, unfortunately. Sometimes just having a view about something will get you labeled a racist. It is ridiculous. Think about it though, there is a "Black History Month", NAACP, CAIR, and a host of other groups, holidays and memorials to non-white people. But God forbid we created a "White History Month" or a NAAWP or any other WASP type group. No, that would be labeled with "racist" and grouped in with the KKK or the neo-nazis. Whatever happened to equality for everyone and people getting ahead on their own merits?!

whatever happened to our days (for some of us) back in the 1950's and early 60's when we called our friends the N word and they called us white trash all in fun and jest and we were slapping each other on the backs after one of us hit a home run in little league............none of us were thinking of making placards and demonstrating downtown against for rights as individuals

the terminology and acceptance of what has become is all irrational and hateful.

sorry but the world is plain warped

It is, to put it mildly, a very tricky area. Of course no one should ever be discriminated against for their colour of their skin; unlike politics or religious views, you don't get a choice what race you are. On the other hand, it now gets to the point of being daft, not being able to say anything without it being seen as racist (e.g you can't even say 'black' you have to say 'coloured'). It can also lead to 'positive discrimination' (such as picked no-whites for a job to get some diversity) which to me is just as bad. It is also very easy to accuse someone of being racist when anything goes against you ('you're only saying that because I'm black'). Attitudes still very greatly; when I moved to this area of the country I was surprised at how it was almost all white, and the language people used commonly. My primary school class was only half white, so a black or Indian person was no big deal to me, and racism was all but absent. Now I don;'t have much contact with anyone who isn't white (through circumstance as opposed to choice) and my hobbies are ones that are 99% white.

As I said, I have no problem with people's skin colour, although I must admit recent events have made me somewhat wearier. On both sides of the argument there are massive hypocrisies that we are all guilty of. For example, on the one hand a joke about blacks or Chinese is taboo, whereas a joke about the Irish or Americans (white, but still a race) are fine. On the other I work with someone who is a self-professed racist and doesn't like black people, yet listens to black music and dresses like he's from L.A!

Still, a hundred years ago they used to lynch blacks for sleeping with white women, and fifty years ago there was official segregation, so we must have made progress. Thing is, it may be going too far now, which could provoke a backlash

I wont even get started, but I will say I am sick and tired of it!

You know what bugs me even more though? The fact that there is Black Entertainment Television, the fact that they call themselves "Nigga's" all the time and the fact that whenever something does not go there way they play the racism card!

I am no where near a racist. I have many friends who are black and they actually agree with me and say that those things are out of control.

If I were to start a White Entertainment Television they would sue me! If I were to call them "Nigga" they would break my knees, if I were to throw the racism card I would be told to remeber the Slaves and Civil War.

I am sick of it...

I'm as far away you can get for being a racist gentlemen. In Sweden we have a saying that says something about taking on and accept manners and customs when you arrive in your new country, how many doest that nowadays? But what irritate me most is that when you were flying the Swedish flag in my old country, you were labeled a racist etc...go figure over that one fellas.

But what irritate me most is that when you were flying the Swedish flag in my old country, you were labeled a racist etc...go figure over that one fellas.

Oh I know how you feel. The same was here in Germany for the longest time. If you took pride in your country and flew the German flag you were labeled a nationalist and Nazi by the forigners.

Fortunatly since the last World Cup that has changed.

Same here. The problem is our flag really was hijacked by right wing groups; if you fly it here people will think you belong to the BNP or Combat 18. I have a small St George cross on my car (and a little Italian one) but I wouldn't want to have a flag outside my house or anything like that, partly because of what people would think. But then again I don't think we've ever been a nation of flag wavers, at least not for the last 100 years

Soon the minorities will have the power and we won't even take a **** without offending someone...

Same here. The problem is our flag really was hijacked by right wing groups; if you fly it here people will think you belong to the BNP or Combat 18. I have a small St George cross on my car (and a little Italian one) but I wouldn't want to have a flag outside my house or anything like that, partly because of what people would think. But then again I don't think we've ever been a nation of flag wavers, at least not for the last 100 years

Creep,

I have to claim ignorance of what BNP or Combat 18 is, but you are afraid to fly the British flag at your own home?????? I have my flag flying 24/7 and properly lit at night. Most of my neighbors fly flags too. I can't imagine being intimidated to not display my pride in my nation.

BNP is the British National Party, a right wing political group who claim top be a legitimate body and campaign in elections. Of course they claim not to be racist, promoting policies such as 'voluntary repartiation' but are consistently exposed as having links to more radical groups. Combat 18 are a far more extreme and illegal neo-nazi group. Of course both use the flag extensively in their rallies and marches, hence why flag waving might be seen as being associated with them.

You'd be hard pushed to find the St George or Union Flag flown from any home or building here unless there's a big sporting event going on. This may be part of our culture though, being reserved about or views or opinions, not necessarily a lack of national pride

If you want to see the "race card" played, you should have been in the
military in the fifties. When I went in blacks and philipinos could have only
a few "jobs" in the military. They was "messmen" or comissary "stewards",
they were in the deck division (cleaning, chipping paint, painting) or being
used in stevedore positions. It wasn't until the sixties that they were
"allowed" into the other ratings.

What agrivates me is the blacks use the N word in a friendly manner to
each other all the time..... it's a compliment. But if a white person uses
it..... it's a slur.

And the Al Sharptons of this country really get me..... they hop on every
news-worthy-item that shows up in the paper in a "what if" sceneario.
Suppose this person was..... (add color here).

I doubt that it will ever get better.....

Charles

Hey ccheese! Remember when Jesse Jackson went overseas back in the 70's or early 80's to "negotiate" the release of that Black flyer. Was that in Lebanon? If it had been a white pilot where would old Jesse have been. I know where, sitting on his ass watching it all on CNN. Right?

Thanks for your input guys i tend to agree with pretty much everyone here.
we have the same problem here with our native people the Aboriginals, everytime something bad for them happens they play the racisim card and the Shi+ hits the fan. I believe that blacks should be equal in society at the moment they seem to be above us........

As above it's a tricky one.

I try to give everyone a chance, I hate like people irrespective of their colour or race but sometimes it IS hard to give everyone and equal chance to prove they're a **** or not.

Firmly believe you should try to integrate when you immigrate but when you see Brits living in spain or france and not speaking the lingo / mixing you realise it's not just immigrants but emmigrants that struggle with this too.

Been on the end of Asian (Pakistani) racism here too. I was seeing this girl ..... anyway I ended up having to recruit mates of mates who were white racists to protect me and my coloured g/f from her Pakistani family - it's a wierd world!

Wow that Aboriginal thing freaked me out.

I went out there few years back thinking it was just a colour thing like Europe and given a chance they would integrate into your society.

However I came away thinking they were at a very different stage of development and that for their own sake the only solution was a form of apartheidt (separate development). Appreciate this could read as extreme but it's a unique issue in my experience.

Honestly I don't think the European / US experience ( 'solutions') with racism really apply where the Aboriginals are concerned.

Not a problem I'd want to have to deal with

IBeen on the end of Asian (Pakistani) racism here too. I was seeing this girl ..... anyway I ended up having to recruit mates of mates who were white racists to protect me and my coloured g/f from her Pakistani family - it's a wierd world!

Dam....:shock:
Just recently in australia our prime minister sent the police and army into regional australia to patrol Aboriginal communities in light of increased amouts of rape and violence....
Police will make sure that there is no booze in the community and will try and keep the peace. This made the Natives go apeshit..... but the prime minister ingnored them and still sent the police and army in.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back