radio operators unite!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hey Flakhappy, great to see ur introduction... Great info about ur past, very interesting... I would not call myself a radio operator, but have used radios and certain satcomm sets in my military service... I was a member of SEAL Teams 4 and 2 and had the wonderful luxury of luggin those damn packs 3/4's of the way across the Globe....

I want to sincerely thank u for ur service to our country and for being man enough to share and express them here with total strangers....

U are, however, not a total stranger to me... To hear the sound and anger of the enemy make friends out of strangers...

I want to echo the above sentiment and thank you for your tremendous service during those darkest hours. You guys deserve the title of "greatest generation" in my eyes. God bless you and God bless America.

Hi Flakhappy;

My uncle was a B-29 operator during the Korean War. From what I understand he few in the "Black Tuesday" raid. Later on he flew ferret missions in the B-50, again as a radio operator.

Hi Flakhappy,
Welcome aboard from Canada.
We'll have to sit down and talk radios sometime-I collect and restore alot of the gear you used.
In fact my main receiver here is a BC-348-P
Cheers,
Matthew

Hi Flakhappy,
Welcome aboard from Canada.
We'll have to sit down and talk radios sometime-I collect and restore alot of the gear you used.
In fact my main receiver here is a BC-348-P
Cheers,
Matthew
That equipment we used 65 years ago was bulky, but effective. Lots of weight and trouble just to do what a cell phone would do today. (well, almost. A cell might not find one's position without hard cranking).

Hi Flakhappy
Great to see vets using the net and joining in. My grandfather was at Amendola on the other side of the field to you guys. He was in No. 178 Squadron RAF. I have a number of photos from Amendola, aerial and ground shots on my site (see the link below). Here are a couple of stories from veterans who have helped with the site over the years. These are specific to the Foggia basin and 205 Group (assigned to 15th AF).
A Summer Evening in Italy
205 Group Italy
There are other Wartime Memories there as well.
Cheers
Gary

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back