RAF Application

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Gnomey

Globetrotting Surgeon General
Staff
Mod
As so of you guys know I have been in the process of applying for the RAF for a while now (over a year). Would of heard this news earlier but all my travelling put everything back around 6 months. I haven't got the letter yet but I have received word from the Careers Office that I will be heading down to the Officer and Aircrew Selection Centre and Cranwell for the final stage of my application on the 25th of January 2009. Really looking forward to it and of course I will prepare well for it but any helpful pointers that those you who have been in the military and done this sort of thing before would be much appreciated. I know what I need to and will start working on it - mainly interview preparation and Speed/Distance/Time Revision etc, my fitness will be alright with all the Rowing (Crew) training have been doing).

So in around 3 months time I will find out whether I have been accepted into the RAF (or not) and then be given the dates for the start of my training - early 2010 hopefully.

Sounds like you are well on your way. Congrats to you. Only things I can think of are take the testing they give you seriously, this stuff will stay with you for your career, 2 years or 20, what you get pegged at this stage is looked at later for "potential".

Don't get drunk the night BEFORE, save it for the night AFTER (personal experience).

If you are wandering through in a daze, don't worry about it. So is everyone else. The only people who know what's going on are the guys doing the testing. If you don't know the answer or it isn't obvious, ask for clarification ("Can you give me a context/perspective/goal for your situation sir" is always a good one, might get an eyebrow raised but it will give you a little time to figure out what is going on in the question).

Play it like a game, the object is to win.

GOOD LUCK!

The only suggestions I have are to keep your fitness up and try to do some mental tests when you are tired.
No matter how fit you are, it will not be enough and mentally you are likely to reach overload, when you are so weary that 2 + 2 becomes difficult. The longer you can keep going the better.

Last tip, you are going to me monitored every minute not just in the interview. I did an officer selection course for the TA in my youth and don't let your guard down for a moment. They will monitor eveything you do at all times and how you interact with the others in the group. Don't say the first thing that comes into your head, take a second to get the words straight.

Be yourself, not someone who you are not.

Good Luck

Great news Hugh! I'm with all, and especially second the advice from Glider. As long as you are doubly mentally prepared, you shouldn't have a problem. Remembr though, even when you are not being monitored and assesed, you are being monitored and assessed, and this includes social interaction!
Best of luck mate.
Terry.

Eat lots of fat food and smoke try to get high blood pressure it makes it easier to pass the centrifuge:lol:

There was a 12 hour show on discovery.ca on the making of a fighter pilot
unfortunately its unavaiable outside Canada I did find 2 cheesy links for vids on youtube unless you can figure out how . The show was called Jetstream

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMTYu0yYMJI

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAPBvAJ7kHs

That series is currently being shown on Sky, I watched one last night, The bad news is that it was the last one but it may well be repeated if you keep your eyes open.
Never was an airbase better named, Cold Lake sums it up pretty well.

That series is currently being shown on Sky, I watched one last night, The bad news is that it was the last one but it may well be repeated if you keep your eyes open.
Never was an airbase better named, Cold Lake sums it up pretty well.
2 exciting years in Cool pool exactly 2 km away from getting isolation pay meaning IIRC 200kms away from a town over 10k

Gnomey, when you do the team exercises in the hangar, find out if anyone has any skills that will help (knot-tying, physical strength or lightness). Then thoroughly BRIEF your Team on the plan carefully so that everyone knows what YOU intend and what THEY are going to do. At the end of the brief, select a team member and quickly CHECK that they understand the PLAN (ie have you communicated it clearly); do not get worked up if you are going to run out of time to complete the exercise its the LEADERSHIP qualities they are looking for: be positive, decisive and encouraging; when someone does well be generous in the praise but don't damn failures. And maintain a sense of humour!

Oh, by the way; JOLLY good luck!!!!!!

Right heading off tomorrow (if the trains work). It is going to take 9 hours (with 4 changes) to do a journey that should be 5 or so (and direct) due to engineering works and it being a Sunday and all that crap. Think I have prepared it all fine. Done a a fair amount of hand, eye coordination practice recently as well as Speed Distance Time and the problems they provide on top of current affairs work. So I should be prepared enough for the Aptitude, the interviews and the group work. Just going to get through the medical and physical now...

Any final points are welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back