RAF Museum Cosford Conservation Center. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yes, Terry, marvellous! Especially the ones of the Hampden's ventral gunner's position; there is some dabate as to how the TB.1 was modified to carry the torpedo and the gunner's position was one of these that was; the bottom sill was raised by 12 inches, making a smaller enclosure to enable a torpedo with stabilising fins to be fitted. I've been wanting to see this area of the Hampden to see if such a modification was visible. Hard to see the line of the bottom of the bay at the moment because there is a tapering panel awaiting fitting, but they are terrific and do show changes from the original bomber version. The rectangular window is smaller than the bomber version and there is a second close to the bomb bay bulkhead. Now, if only there were pictures of the bomb bay doors...

Interesting to see thew Fw 190 at Cosford.

Thanks Geo and Grant. Many of the parts and panels etc from the Hampden, and indeed the Wellington, were 'tidied away' in order to make room for visitors, and racking can be seen in the background in some shots, with other 'bits' tucked under the display etc. Obviously, the open area required to accommodate the daily visitors, would normally be taken up by the work in progress.
I'm still dischuffed at being held up getting there, with the facility only being open until 13.00 each day. Had we arrived as intended, I would have had more time (probably 2 hours) to take photos, and ask questions etc. Unfortunately, we had, officially, less than 15 minutes, and I really should thank the guys in the Center for allowing me to stay a few minutes longer, before they closed the doors. At least I was able to tell a couple of the team members a little about how air gunners got into, and more importantly, out of the rear turret in an emergency - it's good to be able to reciprocate with info and help!
Hopefully, I might get the chance to visit again sometime and, as I have a 'sort of' contact at the Museum, there's a slim possibility I might be able to wangle a personal visit, however brief, to grab a few more pics and some info.

Thanks Andy and Glenn. I'm hoping to plan another visit very early in the new year, when I'll see if I can get access to the Center again. Apart from progress on the Hampden and Wellington, I really want to find out what will be done with the Typhoon, if anything, in the way of further reconstruction of the missing parts.
I'll let you all know when I can arrange something.

Terry ???

Is there anyway you can find out if that the restored aircraft are fully functional before being put into the museum ?

By this I mean can the engine run/electrics work/all linkages attached in the fuselage/wings.

I've always wondered if the aircraft's can run under their own power before being shut down for good.

Ian.

edit: Thanks for sharing mate, just wonderful especially the Wimpy Hampden.

Ian, the FW 190 was certainly running, although not airworthy. As far as I know, the engine was inhibited after the last engine run, before it went to the IWM, Lambeth.
Grant (Nuumann) can probably reveal more on this one, as he posted a video of its last engine run on the forum a while back.
The Wellington had been serviceable, and airworthy, when it was first earmarked for museum preservation, back in the late 1950's, and appeared at a number of air shows, as a static display, until the early 1960's. But, even if the engines are capable of servicing to operational standard, the airframe would not pass for airworthiness, by today's standards. Once the refurb is complete, I would expect some of the electrics and hydraulics would probably be operational.
The Typhoon of course, is missing all of the cooling system, although the Sabre engine is, I believe, complete. Even if the Conservation Center are able to build a new radiator, ducting, trunking and other ancillaries, and I don't know, as yet, if this is intended, I doubt they'd risk running the engine - they were prone to engine fire on start-up when in service, so a heck of a risk after 70 years !
Regular maintenance is carried out on all the Museum's exhibits. and, for example, I was fortunate enough to have access to the Me410, last year, when it was undergoing such work. Where possible, electrics, hydraulics etc are maintained in working order, but, like any mechanical object, when not used, things like seals can degrade, even if they are newly fitted items, so to pull a particular aircraft from the hangar and start it up, would involve a thorough inspection, and almost certainly the servicing of all systems, and replacement of some parts.

Probably. The sad thing is, I remember, as a kid, seeing Vikings (along with DC-3/C-47's and Yorks), the Viking, of course, being an 'airliner-bodied' Wellington, basically. And never thought much about it, or even photographed them, as they were so common. I wanted to see 707s, and Caravelles, and DC8s, none of which used (most couldn't) the local airport, where I haunted every nook and cranny!
Oh, if I'd just photographed one day's movements !

Can confirm what you said about seals leaking after only a few years of non operation Terry. I had my old truck in storage for 5 years and when I took it out last year it was leaking every type of fluid it used, brake, gas, oil, prestone... Cost me a couple grand to get it all straightened out again.

Yep. I found out the same thing, when I was involved with a business operating Chieftain tanks and other AFV's. The engines had to be run-up regularly, and, whenever possible, the vehicle driven, even just a short distance, otherwise it could mean a pack lift, just to change dried out seals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back