Raf planes with U.S. markings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

NEEBLAMMERS

Recruit
Sep 20, 2012
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hello fellow internet aircrew,
Could you please help me with my burning question:
Why did Operation Torch require RAF planes, such as 500 squadron Lockheed Hudsons, to be marked as U.S.:?:
Thanks in advance for any answers, much appreciated.
Wayne

Perhaps because the RAF and FAA had just fought the French in Syria, Lebanon, Madagascar, Senegal and sank the French fleet in Algeria and Morocco and torpedoed a French destroyer off Lebanon, seized French naval vessels by force of arms in Alexandria etc? Mind you, the French Air Force had recently bombed Gibraltar and provided the Luftwaffe with transit support to Iraq.

That's pretty much it. It's also why initially there were to be no British or Commonwealth troops in the first waves ashore. In the end the Eastern Task Force did have British units comprising about half the total force. The Western Assault Force and Central task Force landings were entirely American affairs.

In the end British aircraft were marked with a star within their roundel. Initially,according to the US 1st Infantry Division Field Orders,they were to have full US national markings AND a US flag on the underside of one wing and either side of the fin.This doesn't seem to have happened.
Both the British and US national markings were modified with a yellow ring to distinguish their markings from the French roundel.

Steve

My late father-in-law landed with the first wave in No. Africa. He said that they were very determined to make sure the French knew that they were not British. Had to do with the R.N. shelling the French navy, among other things.

As far as we and the Free French Forces were concerned Vichy France was on the wrong side. The Americans had a more equivocal attitude.

The resistance offered by Vichy Forces to "Operation Ironclad", the landings on Madagascar in May 1942,would be fresh in the minds of the Allies. At the time of "Torch" the land campaign on Madagascar (Streamline Jane) had only just finished,fighting having dragged on for nearly six months.

Steve

IMHO also because French and British cockades were too similar for safety.

Juha
I can see that, they were the opposite from each other, British Red center, then white, with blue outter circle, French, blue center and so on. The British or French would have no problem telling one from the other, but the Americans might get confused.

That's why both the US and British markings got the yellow surround,officially at least.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back