RAFM Cosford Re-visited

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

As mentioned earlier, the on-going reorganisation at Cosford has seen some resident airframes moved around, with the Bf109G-2 "Black 6" and the World's oldest surviving Spitfire (Mk.1A) now in much better, accessible locations.
Some aircraft have been hung from the hangar roof, to allow more movements / placements to be made.
The Defiant has also been moved, and a few detail shots of this are included here. I did a more detailed coverage of the Defiant in a previous Cosford thread.
Still a few more to come, which I'll post either later today, or over the weekend.

CR 66.jpg
CR 67.jpg
CR 68.jpg
CR 69.jpg
CR 70.jpg
CR 71.jpg
CR 72.jpg
CR 73.jpg
CR 74.jpg
CR 75.jpg

Final selection from this visit, with some "odds and ends", including the Miles Magister, the lovely D.H. Devon (military version of the Dove) with the twin booms of the Argosy in the background, Spitfire PR.19 detail, Catalina float retraction details, and Hurricane starter socket / cable.
To round off, a few detail shots of another recent "import" from Hendon, the mighty Hawker Tempest Mk.II.

I hope you've enjoyed this brief coverage of the RAFM Cosford changes, and thanks for the comments and "likes" etc.

CR 76.jpg
CR 77.jpg
CR 78.jpg
CR 79.jpg
CR 80.jpg
CR 81.jpg
CR 82.jpg
CR 83.jpg
CR 84.jpg
CR 85.jpg
CR 86.jpg
CR 87.jpg

Yeah, pity you couldn't be there, but there's always next time.
I agree about the aircraft outside, they need to be undercover. indoors.

Jim (Capt Vick) asked me about the Stirling fuselage section, and where it came from.
I now have the info from Rodd at RAFM Cosford.

The aircraft was Stirling Mk.III, serial number LK488 from 1651 HCU, which crashed in the Pennines (UK) on a training sortie on October 19th, 1944.
All crew, with the exception of the tail gunner, perished in the crash.
As the location of the crash was remote, and in very harsh terrain, the wreckage was pushed into a sink hole, where it lay buried for over three decades, finally being recovered in1977.
The fuselage sections and other parts were in storage at RAF Stafford until this year, with the mid-fuselage (where the upper turret is located) and the tail wheel assembly now on display at Cosford, and the rear fuselage section and other parts on display at Hendon.

I'd need to check with my friend, Mick, but I think that this is the same aircraft, the crash site of which Mick visited a couple of years back, which is not far from where we both live, where it was evident that the Stirling had flown into the side of a steep hill, in poor weather conditions. Small fragments can still be seen, both metal and "Perspex", and some exploded .303 ammo was also found. The earth beneath the coarse grass was still blackened from the resulting fire.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back