Raid on Berlin Museum

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
I've read several times wher the Air Museum in Berlin wa sdestroyed during the war and alot of plaes, I believe like the Dornier Wal were destroyed. Any idea when this was and if any planes survived and can be seen today?

It was 1943 and I know the Heinke He-178 was destroyed as well. Most of the Museum Island was destroyed by the RAF in 1943. The Neues Museum was really a shame because of the priceless artifacts from Egypt. Fortunaly a lot of the artifacts could be rebuilt. I was just at the Museum Island in January. I will have to post some pics finally.

Hi!
don't worry Njaco. Some a/c of Berlin's collection were evacuated on Polish occupied teritory. We found them and now are exposed in Krakow. Believe me there are still interesting a/cs like Udet's Curtiss (one of two he was flown during Olympic in Berlin on 1936) or Me 209 V4 (fuselage only)

Ive read alot of aircraft that were destroyed in the museum also. Does any one know if there was a list of aircraft that was in the museum when it was destroyed?

Micdrow

from "Luftwaffe in WWII - part 2 Aero Pictorials 5"

"The Dornier Wal D-1422 was put on display in the Deutsches Museum in Munchen in 1932 and was destroyed following an air raid in 1944."

pic from

FLUG REVUE Datafiles: Dornier Wal

Attachments

• DoWal.jpg
    DoWal.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 173
Hi!
don't worry Njaco. Some a/c of Berlin's collection were evacuated on Polish occupied teritory. We found them and now are exposed in Krakow. Believe me there are still interesting a/cs like Udet's Curtiss (one of two he was flown during Olympic in Berlin on 1936) or Me 209 V4 (fuselage only)

Are they going to be kept in Poland or are they going to be returned?

I think would be neat if the 209 and the Curtiss atleast would end up back in Berlin
It would be neat if all captured treasures would be back to his owners.

Sorry but I've got close up only (I'm taking pictures for modeler's purposes :oops: ), there are engine covers but without engine.
03.jpg
05.jpg
04.jpg

Sorry, was my fault.

Attachments

• Vorläufiges Bestandsverzeichnis der Deutschen Luftfahrt Sammlung in Berlin.zip
    5.4 KB · Views: 76
The Jeannin Stahltaube is in Berlin, Deutsches Technik Museum. The DH 9 can be seen in London, AIR FORCE MUSEUM Hendon. All others of the surviving aircraft are in Krakau

:D Nice pics, Sailor.Is that 3rd pic a PZL? Sorry for my ignorance:oops:

You have any pics of that Curtiss? would be interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back