'Rainmaker' - Avro Lancaster

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Bomber Gnomey: I will be using the model to make some images - the ones posted are only preview quality at present. I have a night scene in mind that should be challenging to do. Also, the Cinema4D format model will be converted to one, or more, 3D universal format/s and placed on sale.

Becco...

The bombload... is it legit ?

I don't seem to have that one in the Lancaster Manual.

I only have 3 bombs widthwise, you have 4...

regards

Simon

Bomber

That bomb load is found mainly in one place.

Tamiya 1/48 scale Lancaster model. :p

It was hardly ever used except very early in the Lancs service life. Far more common was lines of three 500 pounders and the Cookie, or Cookie and incendiary dispensers.

Becco. Luverly work, just a quick comment on the canopy, a point that is wy often missed. The horizontal frame at the rear of the canopy was black and inside the glass, not outside.

The whole rear framing was made of Ash wood. covered in Aluminium.

Have fun doing the rivets. :shock:

Attachments

• lancaster_022_of_106.jpg
    lancaster_022_of_106.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 190
bombstacpz9.jpg

k9kiwi: Good spot about the bomb load! I knew next to nothing about this aircraft when I started to make it and found an image of the Tamiya model showing the four bomb width. The bomb bay was one of the first sections I made so that's how the 4 bombs came about. I later came across an image showing the four bomb set up and just assumed that was a typical bomb load for a Lancaster. Thank you for the canopy reference image - I will adjust the colour of my attempt accordingly.

Overall, the model I'm making is only based on an early Lancaster - there will be some things not historically accurate - either for asthetic or artistic reasons (this includes the 'Rainmaker' logo and fake fuselage numbering).

alpre15bny3.jpg

This latest preview sees the painted Rainmaker fuseselage back with the rest of the model. The green and brown camoflage colours have been desaturated a little. The weathering is to be done when all the models exterior painting is complete - this just involves the wings, engines and unrcarriage assemblies.

The wings are getting the attention at present with more substantial flaps made and the bit of the wing they go into added - I call it the flap bay but I'm sure there is a correct term!

The tyres have a Cinema 'bulge' deformer added to them and turned on for this preview. Using a bulge deformer is the reason I opted for smooth tyres instead of treads - I originally modelled a treaded tyre but with the bulge switched on the tyres displayed their modest polygon count and did not distort correctly. Subdividing the tyres was an unnacceptable solution for this model due a big increase in the polygon count.

Thank you for your continued interest in this modest project.

hangar01wl0.th.jpg

I'm using one of my personal images, of an old grass covered aircraft maintenance hangar, in one of the 'Rainmaker' final renders. If the image is of use to anyone then please feel free to use it for non-commercial purposes.

alpre16jw6.jpg

I got around to painting the undercarriage using Maxons' Bodypaint - a simple job with a mud texture sprayed on a sepate layer over the night black base layer. Used an ordinary soft edged round brush for this with a jitter setting applied. Then just a bit of smearing of the mud layer and lowered its opacity until I got the effect I was after - something that represents dried dirty rainwater thrown up by those massive wheels.

The dummy 'runway' uses a simple tiled material with a normal map helping it along.

In one of the final Rainmaker' renders I intend to use a personal photo' of an old, grass covered maintenance hangar - so this preview is seeing how good, or otherwise, the photo' resource applied as a simple Maxwell Render clipmap is likely to blend in.

The weather changed! As the exterior of the 'Rainmaker' gets closer to completion I've started to try hdr image based lighting - it renders almost twice faster than using Maxwells' sun and phsical sky.

Hey Becco! :)

That's an amazing pic you've got there!

Also, how many mission markers are on "Rainmaker's" nose?

Bf109_g: Thank you. The location of any bombing raid would have to be determined by the viewer - I suppose it would be natural to assume Germany though - might have to make a German bomber to balance things up!

There are a grand total of 49 mission markers. I painted one in Paint Shop Pro, tiled it and erased the one I didn't want. They need some more work as part of the weathering process.

Hey Beeco!

So, I have got another question. Is the squadron code from any Lancaster squadron that served during World War Two?

Bf109_g: The squadron code is fictional. All the roundels, codes and 'Rainmaker' logo use seperate paint layers so if the need arises they can easily be changed.

OK. I've just had an idea for your background Becco. :) Doesn't matter if you don't use it.

1943:
"Rainmaker" is on its 50th sortie over German territory. After dropping its bomb
load on an unsuspecting German town, a Ju88 trails "Rainmaker", and waits for
the chance to strike, and shoot it down.

Bf109_g: Nice idea but the 'Rainmaker' is indestructible - the one Lancaster that enemy pilots avoided!

alpre17pg7.jpg

Painting the 'Rainmaker' wings including adding some panel lines seemed to take forever. This preview is how the base layer turned out. They look sort of boring but I expect when the typical Lancaster exhaust smoke staining is added they might liven up a little. Rendered this time using a brighter HDR image.

alpre18hh4.jpg

With the 'Rainmakers'' exterior base painting complete this preview shows the weathering getting underway. I've reduced the saturation of all the colours and used a smeared smoke texture for the wing staining. Not really noticable but a fine cracked paint texture was applied as a multiply layer to all the models' textures and its opacity lowered to 8%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back